Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • SS Ratio for MTB on road
  • motivforz
    Free Member

I would love a cyclocross SS, like a Day One or Pompino, for commuting this summer on fairly flat part off road, part road route. but can’t find any second handers at the moment at an affordable price, so I’m looking at upping the ratio from 32:16 on my Genesis IO.

Can’t go smaller than 16 on the rear as its a SS hub with freewheel, and smaller freewheels have a different thread. So instead looking at replacing the 32T chainring, putting on the outside of the crank mounts (for clearance with the frame), and hoping this won’t put the chainline off too much. So what ring size should I go for? All I know is 32:16 is way too spinny on the flats. Day one comes with a 42T, Pompino a 49T, so not much help for me there, plus they’re 700c so will have a slightly different ratio.

Ta muchly.

pixelmix
    Free Member

42:16 or 44:16 will be fine for the road. I’ve run a 32:12 for a while on the MTB with skinny CX tyres which gives a similar ratio. You can get up most road climbs with that, and it isn’t too spinny.

I have run an equivalent of 48:16 for a while too, but it’s not ideal for standing starts uphill.

charliedontsurf

42:16 is about right on the road for a 26″ wheel.

thomthumb
    Free Member

42:16 or 44:16

the man speaks sense.

pixelmix
    Free Member

PS – another advantage of those sizes is that they are common, so you can easily get a ring to try. I have a 44t XT outer I’m taking off the bike tonight if you want to try it. 9 months use and in reasonable nic apart from the odd dunt on a rock. I have other spare chainrings at home too – one might be a 42t.

motivforz
    Free Member

Thanks all, I may pop over to you Charlie when I’m next in Bournemouth.

jonba
    Free Member

I run 48-16 on my commuter but only do 6 miles each way. It’s comfortable at around 18mph but rubbish for anything other than small or shallow climbs. For longer rides I’d consider something smaller.

It’s considerably cheaper to replace rear sprockets (normally) so maybe go for a slightly bigger front and run 18 at the back and you can then drop to a 17 or 16 if it’s too easy. If you go to small at the front you are stuck!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘SS Ratio for MTB on road’ is closed to new replies.