Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • SRAM XX1 hub and chainrings
  • deejayen
    Free Member

I’m idly pondering the notion of fitting XX1 to a road-going bike.

Are there options for chainrings larger than 38-teeth?

Is it possible to use the XX1 cassette with 130mm dropouts?

What are the requirements for a rear hub? My current rear wheel is a cheap Fulcrum Racing 7 with a 9/10/11 speed compatible Shimano freehub. Would I need a new freehub, and if so, would it replace a standard feehub, or would I need a different hub/wheel, and if so are these available in 130mm width?

Thanks!

njee20
    Free Member

Do you really need the range for a road bike?

You will need a new freehub body.

If you can find a manufacturer whose hubs are the same design road/MTB then it should work – DT spring to mind. You could fit an XD body to a 130mm 240 and it should be fine. Hope should work too, possibly Mavic. Not sure on Fulcrum, I’m not convinced they do an XD body at all, so you may be scuppered before you’ve even started.

10 speed would make far more sense. CX1 offers larger narrow/wide single rings.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

The xd body only works with a 12mm through axle set-up which probably rules out most wheels/frames for you!

njee20
    Free Member

You can get QR adapters for many hubs, but it may cause problems with the 130mm OLD, depends where they lose the 5mm from – the axles or end caps. Again, will vary by manufcaturer.

It’s a faff, and quite honestly for what it’ll cost you could just buy a proper road bike and have done with it!

Edit:

My current rear wheel is a cheap Fulcrum Racing 7 with a 9/10/11 speed compatible Shimano freehub.

Almost certainly not an 11 speed freehub on those, don’t confuse the fact that 11 speed XTR works on a 10 speed freehub with the road groupsets, which require a longer 11 speed freehub body.

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks. I’m currently using a road triple with 11-34 9-speed. XX1 would give me the range of the middle chainring (where I spend most of my time) but with an extra gear at both ends, so it might just work.

One downside is that the higher gears (eg 38×10) won’t be as efficient as using a larger cog with a 52 chainring.

I’d probably go for a new wheel build at the time I change the drivetrain, so it sounds like it should be possible to find a compatible hub.

I’m not quite ready to decide which way to go, but this might be a workable option.

deejayen
    Free Member

Ah – just seen the posts about the 12mm axle!

thomthumb
    Free Member

are cx1/ xx1 compatible.

CX1 chainrings up to 46T

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, they are. The expense and complexity is all in the rear hub/cassette though.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

mathewshotbolt – Member
    The xd body only works with a 12mm through axle set-up which probably rules out most wheels/frames for you!

not true… i’ve got standard QR on my XX1 with a Mavic ITS4 hub

same goes for Hope Pro Evo 2… available in either 142×12 or standard QR

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Even if you can get the hub and chainrings, what about the shifters? Cable pull is different on Shimano and SRAM road stuff.

njee20
    Free Member

And DT:

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks for the extra info.

The bike currently has twist shifters (flat bars) so the XX1 twister would be great.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got one to sell (with a rear mech) if of interest – took it off the bike last week.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

I feel I might have been mistaken about the 12mm bit! But still a bugger on a 130mm setup.

njee20
    Free Member

Not really. Assuming the axle is just 5mm shorter on a road hub then you just stick the XD body on that…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘SRAM XX1 hub and chainrings’ is closed to new replies.