• This topic has 17 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • SRAM XG1080 vs Shimano XTR 10-speed cassettes
  • cubicboy
    Free Member

My SRAM XG1080 has only lasted a year and I’m after opinions on the two cassettes. The Shimano cassette is heavier – is it more durable? Would like to keep things nice and light. Cheers.

SRAM XG1080 10 Speed MTB Cassette
    Shimano XTR M980 10 Speed MTB Cassette

njee20
    Free Member

Only lasted a year how? As in you’ve put a new chain on after a year and its skipped? Or it’s actually failed somehow?

The XTR cassette has a number of ti sprockets which will wear more quickly than the full steel SRAM one. However both will be ripe for the bin in no time if you don’t keep on top of chain replacement, or just run the whole lot into the ground.

cubicboy
    Free Member

I’ve only ever had XT or XTR set-ups on my bikes and this is my first with SRAM (XO). I’m normally very good with all of my kit and regularly service my bikes… but… we have a six-month-old baby and things have slipped. Yes, for once, I didn’t change the chain so I am where I am. That said, it’s hardly lasted well at all.

njee20
    Free Member

Again, what do you mean ‘it’s only lasted a year’. Why are you deeming it worn out? Have you put a new chain on and it’s skipping? Have teeth broken?

Obviosuly cassettes tend not to wear sat in the shed, so time is fairly irrelevant, and usage is rather more important. Id expect just about any cassette to skip with a new chain after a year. So by that metric they’re worn. However if you chose to run the whole groupset into the ground I’d expect rather more than a year before it was beyond use.

gee
    Free Member

My last 2 XTR cassettes failed after 6 months as the rivets holding them together failed. Got a warranty replacement both times but still annoying it failed.

njee20
    Free Member

Happened on a number of XTs too. guess Shimano saved weight on their latest rivets…

cubicboy
    Free Member

njee20 – I have ridden about 400 miles on the bike and I am ashamed to say that the chain had stretched significantly. In answer to your question thougth, yes, I’ve fitted a new chain. The cassette is worn – I’m just deliberating over a replacement.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Sram shifting on their own cassettes I have found to be so much slicker.

I wish I had kept my LE Sram X.0 kit now as XT is clunky in comparison.

njee20
    Free Member

njee20 – I have ridden about 400 miles on the bike and I am ashamed to say that the chain had stretched significantly. In answer to your question thougth, yes, I’ve fitted a new chain. The cassette is worn – I’m just deliberating over a replacement.

So the cassette isn’t the issue, your maintenance schedule and the chain is…? Put the old chain back on and run it into the ground. Daft to replace it after 400 miles. Get a chain wear tool.

cubicboy
    Free Member

I have a chain wear tool. The chain was slipping about two months back so it was changed as it had stretched a lot. Yes, my maintenance scheduling has taken a hit recently due to various factors. The cassette is worn. I am not a bad person.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Lol, waits in bushes to shout at njee – your a very bad naughty person for not checking your chain wear before/during/after a ride

njee20
    Free Member

Eh? Your cassette was skipping after less than 400 miles, with the old chain? Something doesn’t sound right, that just doesn’t happen unless you’ve got a stiff link, or a tooth has broken or something.

Was the chain new with the cassette? Or were you running a worn chain, which after 400 miles had taken out the cassette?

gee
    Free Member

Depends what those 400 miles were like… I’ve killed an entire brand new transmission in under 40 miles before…

First ever Brass Monkey 4hr race at Aldershot…

njee20
    Free Member

You’re marginally stronger than the average rider GB… 🙂

That’s not normal assuming a reasonable degree of maintenance!

cubicboy
    Free Member

Njee20, I bought the bike ex-demo (used on a two-day event from new) pretty much a year ago. Since then, I’m guessing that I’ve ridden circa 400 miles on it. After each ride, the bike has been thoroughly cleaned. The riding has been mainly XC in the Peaks, Cannock, Pines, Dalby and the odd MTB marathon. I’m not a particularly strong rider ie I’m not hard on bike drivechains, which is why I’m surprised it’s gone so quickly. I have had XTR and XT before and the durability has been great. I was riding with one of my main riding pals yesterday and he was saying that in the past 12 months (and similar mileage to me) he’s gone through an outer chainring, chain, bottom bracket and cassette. He’s a very strong rider so it doesn’t surprise me a great deal… but then again I’m hardly slow. As a footnote, he has the cleanest mountain bike that I’ve ever seen.
    So, let’s say that ‘if’ the cassette is worn, what would be the best replacement?

njee20
    Free Member

XTR is a load cheaper, but its heavier, and the ti sprockets are likely to be less durable. Gee above had issues with rivets failing, and I didn’t find it lasted particularly well. The XG1099 that preceded it did a fair bit better.

cubicboy
    Free Member

Thanks for this. After a serious session of self-flagelation I will set about buying the SRAM cassette. Or a new bike. Or something.

adsh
    Free Member

I’ve 2 bikes that have done over 1,000 and 1,400miles respectively on XTR 10sp cassettes. Used in filthy weather/conditions just cleaned well and chains changed at .75. I probably produce half the power of Gee.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘SRAM XG1080 vs Shimano XTR 10-speed cassettes’ is closed to new replies.