Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Sram Roam 40 wheelset- replacement bearings front and back, what are they?
  • cokie

I’ve been putting off replacing the bearings on my Roam 40s, but enough is enough. I’ve read lots online that says the technical spec from Sram gives incorrect sizes, but there is no mention of the correct size.

Does anyone know what bearings are required for a full rebuild front and back on a ’15 Sram Roam 40 wheelset?

Any help and guidance would be great. I’m trying to order them today from a bearing supplier.

trailhound101

I have Roam 30’s and used the SRAM manual instructions to pop out the rear one that had gone (instructions were very good). But as you say the code stamped on the cheap chinese OE (and in the manual) was wrong but I only found out when it arrived and it was too narrow. To remedy, I measured the OE bearing (width, int and ext diameter) and ordered on that basis (pretty standard stuff and all in the Wych bearings on line catalogue). I used Wych bearings and they were very helpful – ring and talk to the customer support/tech department and they’ll advise based on your measurements, they exchanged the wrong coded bearing no fuss and delivery was speedy… couldn’t recommend them enough. Link: http://www.wychbearings.co.uk

Good luck

cokie

Thanks! That’s helpful. The issue with that is that I need to get the old bearings out first, and I’ve got nothing more accurate than a ruler to measure them.

It’s weird that such a popular wheelset doesn’t have more info on consumables online.

tom.nash

Sooner you can replace the hub with Hope the better 😆

cokie

I know.. perils of buying a full build.
    Sadly can’t justify a new hub/rim/wheelset.
    The Roam’s are too narrow too.

windysurfer
    Free Member

I bought the ones listed in the manual for the rear and they are incorrect, well 3 of them are!

The correct one are listed on this thread (for the rear)
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sram-roam40-wheel-bearings

leftyboy
    Free Member

@trailhound101 can you share which bearings you ended up ordering? I need to do my ROAM40 bearings and also have no accurate measuring device so I’m guessing if I just ordered the same part numbers as you did they would fit OK.

cokie

Thanks for the info Windysurfer.
    So the correct wheelbearing for the rear is 17x28x7 ?
    The exploded diagram below appears to show 2x that sit in the hub (#10) and 2x that sit in the freehub (#11).

cokie

Can anyone shed anymore light on this by any chance? 😥

trailhound101

Sorry guys, I only replaced the one that had gone. I
    Measured with a ruler anyway. It was straightforward enough and only accuracy yo the nearest MM was needed… Didn’t keep the paperwork!

cokie

Thanks trailhound101! Don’t think I’ll be buying sram wheelsets again.
    I like products you can maintain with spares and support (e.g.- Hope).

konanige

Hi there, have done this a few times on my sram hubs so hopefully can be of help, if you are replacing all the bearings you will require three bearings sized 17x28x7 (same as Hope Pro 111) available from most good online bearing suppliers and one standard 6903 bearing. They should fly out my outer bearing usally comes out attached to the cassette!!!! as it doesn’t bear on much in the freehub.

windysurfer
    Free Member

As konanige has said 3 x 17x28x7

and 1 x 6903

cokie

Amazing. Cheers for that! All ordered- £37.50 for the rear.

Still none the wiser on the front bearings. Might pop them out and try to measure them.

DickBarton

Mine has got the telltale wobble of knackered bearings…I’m assuming it is the outer bearings, so is that 1 of each? Freehub was updated about 3 months ago so not that…

kitebikeski
    Free Member

Got the bearings – amazing service from Wych.

How do I remove the axle & bearings from the hub?

Cheers

cokie

I used some light tapping on the axle with a mallet. I modified a headset bearings press to press them back in.
    The whole job only took 15 minutes. Surprised how easy it is!
    I had an issue with the freehub but it turned out I had a pawl the wrong way round after rebuilding 😳

Very quick dispatch & postage from Wych

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Sram Roam 40 wheelset- replacement bearings front and back, what are they?’ is closed to new replies.