Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • SRAM Roam 30 Wheel Bearings – help please!
  • dannyh
    Free Member

My relatively new SRAM Roam 30 wheels have goosed bearings.

Can anyone give me a link to somewhere I can get some new ones – preferably a better set than the stock SRAM, but if I have to use SRAM bearings then OK.

I have looked on CRC etc, but find the mainstream retailer sites frustratingly inconsistent in their compatibility info.

Cheers.

dannyh
    Free Member

Just found some on Amazon – duh!

Still, if anyone has a good suggestion for better quality ones, then please do let me know.

dannyh
    Free Member

Cheers poisonspider – I think I got the last set, but we’ll see I guess….

poisonspider
    Free Member

Do you have the ref numbers?

flimbo
    Free Member

What were the symptoms of knackered bearings, Danny?

My Roam 30 on the front has developed some play whereby it knocks/feels loose. The maxle is tight enough. It’s only done about 200 miles.

M6TTF
    Free Member

just done my rear hub bearings. I used kinetic bearings on eBay.

as far as i know, its SRAM only for the front. they’re a weird size. As for the rear – the bearing numbers are wrong. don’t order 63803, they won’t fit. you need 17287. x3 and 6903 x1

there are better bearings available – but i didn’t want to pay that much for one bearing.
    http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/17287-2RS-Enduro.html?gclid=CP-3y4egi8wCFfEV0wodz9kETA

on pulling mine apart, it was only the outer drive side bearing that was knackered. the other were all fine.

if you’re pulling apart, you might want to get a set of Hope Pro 3 pawls and springs, to upgrade the free hub. fit and work perfectly

dannyh
    Free Member

poisonspider – Member

Do you have the ref numbers?

No – I just ordered them as they do state they are compatible with Roam 30 Rear wheels – so assumed that was good enough. Thanks for the heads up, though.

flimbo – Member

What were the symptoms of knackered bearings, Danny?

My Roam 30 on the front has developed some play whereby it knocks/feels loose. The maxle is tight enough. It’s only done about 200 miles

The symptoms were what I would expect to be a knackered bearing – i.e. the rim wobbles from side to side when pulled and you can see a bit of play at the axle. I hope this isn’t some kind of SRAM-only problem due to their quirky engineering and I have ordered new bearings I don’t need…..

I am getting someone else to do the actual fettling as I haven’t got the time/nous/tools to do it at the moment(!)

dannyh
    Free Member

M6TTF – I just read your post about needing three of the 17287 bearings.

Is this correct for just the axle/hub – and are the other two for the freehub body?

I’m a bit confused now as I thought I was buying a set to do a rear wheel……

flimbo
    Free Member

Thanks, Danny. That sounds like the same issue as what I’m having. Would you please update this thread once the bearings have been replaced so I know if it’s a job I need to consider.

asbrooks

@ Danny,

Check this site for replacement bearings – just drop the first digit “1-” from the number. Search for the 17287 brings up a whole lot of bearings.
    bearing

poisonspider
    Free Member

if you’re pulling apart, you might want to get a set of Hope Pro 3 pawls and springs, to upgrade the free hub. fit and work perfectly

Have you tried this or just read it?

That’d be good if it’s accurate.

cokie

I started a thread on this, look here

What you need:

3 x 17x28x7

and 1 x 6903

M6TTF
    Free Member

3x 17287 and 1 6903. that replaces all the bearings in the hub and free hub. But i suspect you’ll find only the outer driveside needs doing. i’ll re use the old ones next time around.

and yes, I’ve fitted the Hope Pawls and springs. I snipped a smidgen off the length of the spring to match the SRAM ones. the profile of the pawl is a fraction different, but almost identical. rode 20 miles on sunday and it didn’t skip a beat.

dannyh
    Free Member

Flimbo asked me to update the thread when the bearings were done. These have solved the problem of the wobby wheel, but I had to have the freehub put back together with the least knackered pair of 17287 bearings – which are pretty shagged. The upper jockey wheel has also fallen apart, so I’m running an old tacx shimano 10 speed jockey wheel as a bodge as well – until I get new freehub bearings and jcokey wheels.

As a result, I can’t tell you how it is going as the shifting is predictably ropey(!)

Front wheel bearings also feel a bit rough. I guess the stock bearings in these wheels are just shit, end of story.

I’m going to end up replacing most of the wheel and drivetrain bearings pretty soon I think – so I would be able to gauge this better when I’ve done it all.

M6TTF
    Free Member

thats why i did the lot in one go – save pulling it apart again, even though mine seemed fine bar one

prettygreenparrot

After just under a year and barely any riding I noticed a wobble in my front wheel. Canyon spectral 7.0EX with sram roam 30 wheelset. Checked the bearings. One side nice. The other side not so nice. Thanks to this and the other thread I’m expecting new bearings during the week. Went for the ceramic ones.

These sram hubs are quite a contrast to my old Hope hubs. They went for 10 years of much more regular riding with no complaints and barely any care. They’re still working fine.

feruggio
    Free Member

This is a good source. Hope bearings are made by INA, superb quality

http://www.hibike.com/hope-cartridge-bearings-17287-p49411ac4f9ccb03db4366465857ccd07

grahamsinc
    Free Member

The stock bearings in the Roam 30’s seem appalling – I’ve only had mine for 4 months of dry-ish riding and the rear bearings are already wobbly and rough despite never having been jetwashed. Compared to my previous set of Hope XC hubs which went about 5 years per bearing change through much worse conditions, I know what I’ll be replacing the Roams with…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Roam 30 Wheel Bearings – help please!’ is closed to new replies.