Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • SRAM force 1 for road riding
  • seifahmad
    Free Member

Anyone used this. Currently run 50-34 and 11-32 but looking at a bike with force 1 running 44t and 11-42.
    Any comments on road riding with the 1×11 setup

bedmaker

I love my 1X on the MTB but it has nowhere near the range needed for the road imo.

parkesie
    Free Member

Have the 1x 11 on my cross bike works fine on the road can be abit of a jump between gears if your used to maintaining a steady cadence. Has a low enough gear for climbing looses a little at full tilt down hill.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Think it depends what you use the bike for and where. I’d happily go 1x for general daily riding around Fife. Wouldn’t be much use at all though for fast group rides or holidays in the mountains.

onandon
    Free Member

Two of my road bikes are cx1 one is 42 11-32 and the other which is more gravel is 40 11-36

11-32 is plenty for me on the fast bike which I use for solo rides. I’m comfortably in the mid/ to late 30mph and can do the hills I need to do.
    If I’m off to the mountains I take another bike.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsu1HUXQVEs[/video]

either big gaps and/or limits at either end of the range was my impression.

To me the benefit of 2×11 is having small steps between gears as on the road it’s all about keeping around your preferred cadence, so I prefer my 2×11 to my 2×10 road bike even with the same range as there isn’t a ‘step’ on the cassette.

Ioneonic

38 10-42 here. I like it. I’m a spinner though. Spin out around 33-35 mph which is fine for me.
    Try riding without using your 50-11 and see if you miss it. Range is similar-ish otherwise. IIRC steps on 1×11 are similar to 2×9 (could be talking utter tripe though).

mattsccm
    Free Member

Gaps too big for me. Even an 11-32 is too gappy for smooth riding. If you started life asa MTBer with their natural tendency for gimmicks and inefficiency you might be not used to anything better. If you started as a roadie like me with a 13-17 block on a 42-52 chain set you’ll be more fussy! 😉

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m running 10/42 with a 42t up front on a road bike.
    To be honest I was expecting the gaps to be a bit much but they don’t bother me at all.
    The gear range is good enough for me, very close to running a compact with an 11/28.

I tried running my Tripster with a 50t up front and 11/28 at the back. Great for flat rides with one or two smaller climbs but once it started getting hilly it was awful 😀

robgclarkson
    Free Member

42 & 11-36 for me here and truth be told I could (but for £££) switch it to a 46 and do everything I want at my happy pace…. climbs are fine, I can’t honestly remember the last time I used the 36 out back.

I just don’t like front derailleurs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘SRAM force 1 for road riding’ is closed to new replies.