Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Spring cleaning a tent.?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I was going to buy a new tent this year but having spooged a lot of money on a full sus build and going “part time” at work the proverbial belt now needs to be tightened some what. I don’t really want to scrap my old tent (around 5yo, used 30 ish times) as throwing something away that may be perfectly serviceable bugs me.
    So apart from putting the thing up in the garden and giving it an airing can I give it a good spray with a disinfectant.? Can it be waterproofed after.?
    What else do folks do to preserve their tents.?

Davesport

Call Scottish Mountain Gear & ask them. I’ve used them numerous times as they’re local to me. Free with good advice & fixing tents is their bread & butter.

D.

anjs
    Free Member

Seam selant on the flysheet is a good idea

scaredypants

inside out, hang on washing line in the rain ?

Stoner
    Free Member

erect in the garden and use a sponge and some tent cleaner. Rinse with spray head on the hose.

Then spray with reproofing agent, sponge it around, and allow to dry in the sun.

http://www.yeomansoutdoors.co.uk/products/tent-accessories/tent-cleaner-proofer.aspx

seam sealer is good if its a problem with your tent.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Cheers off to the camping shop I go then.

molgrips
    Free Member

Washing machine, provided it fits (using soap flakes or Techwash or similar, on cold). Then wash-in waterproofing after.

I put a battered old thing into my washing machine and a brand new tent came out – amazing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Spring cleaning a tent.?’ is closed to new replies.