Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Spoke brake interface again
  • fozzyuk

Posted this before but been on holidays and no joy with suggested solutions. Under braking, especially heavy but not really anything dramatic the spokes start to clang on the brake calliper.

Only happens under braking and therefore can't view what's moving where by pushing and pulling anywhere on the bike.

Definitely appears to be related to braking force.

Last time I asked the question everyone was firmly of the opinion it was the brake mounts being loose. I've looked today though and there's no play at all and all looks solid.

Any thoughts as to what it could be please? I'm at a real loss but I'm none too happy about spokes hitting brakes….

bassspine
    Free Member

forks twisting under pressure?

fozzyuk

would that be due to worn forks ?

Its a new occurence so somethings changed ?

bassspine
    Free Member

something is moving a fair distance to get spoke/caliper contact. You've eliminated bearings, the hub and loose brake mount bolts (I presume) so it must be something that would only move under pressure. If your forks are worn badly and not too rigid maybe that's it

fadda

Are they definitely hitting the caliper, or could it be anything else?

gusamc
    Free Member

I'd twist check everything

bike upside down and spin wheels like buggery – see what wheel does, and do distances between things remain static entire revolution or does it move, retry applying brake.
    try twisting wheel in forks (hold forks with knees and see if wheel can be moved 'on' the qr)
    try twisting forks (pull one leg, push other)
    try rocking forks bacward and forward(if you put your hand over the join you might feel movement – same as you would on a headset thta was loose etc)
    is the caliper centred (same amount of pad on each side), can it be mounted further out ?
    are spokes tight – ring when hit lightly with a spanner end etc, do they all make the same sound when you pluck them with your fingers

and are you sure it's what you think making the noise

stuey
    Free Member

How much clearance from the calipre do your spokes normally have?

I had some old Hopes that were too tight – so had to shim the disc out.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I guess it is leaving marks on the spokes and calliper? Where is it hitting, first corner it can?
    It is the front brake I guess, what size rotor?

fozzyuk

Yes front brake.

It's quite close to spokes as is but has 0.5cm or so of clearance so relatively a big move.

Under breaking it looks like fork lowers do have some movement backwards but couldn't see how that would impact the spoke / callipers as they are all on the lower therefore moving together.

Think I have more twist testing to do but nothing seemed to show any real movement.

Re marks on the calliper, not sure there was one area but not as much as I would have thought. The noise sounds like spokes on calliper but I'm open to any other thoughts….

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Sure it is not spokes on your rotor hitting pads? Only hitting hard enough to hear when you brake hard?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've had this happen with a wheel with poor spoke tension on one side meant that the rim was pulled over.

fozzyuk

crossed my mind tracker, they're juicy 7's if that makes a difference ??

Tracker1972
    Free Member

No idea if it would make a difference or not 🙂
    you should be able to see from the shiny track on the rotor if the pads overlap the spokes though, could shim out the calliper with a washer or two to see if it lessens or removes the noise, then get rid of the washers so it all lines up properly again I guess.

fozzyuk

Needs a bit of daylight digging, shame there aint that much left these days either side of the commute…

may try sticking a maker pen on a few area's see wat rubs off….

bassspine
    Free Member

Have you got wavey disks? sometimes the shape makes them produce a 'shching' noise?

fozzyuk

Yeah I have, but I know the shching noise, this is a definate ping noise :P, can feel the ping through the bars too.

Dark when I left and dark by the time I put the bike away but I do wander about a rotor and pad issue, based on not seeing real scuff marks on spokes or calliper.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sounds like the spokes are loose?

rootes1

spokes under tension

also might be worth relacing to swop which whay round the trailing leading spoke are arranged

aracer
    Free Member

The spokes will move under braking, due to half getting more tension and the other half less – moves the crossing to one side as one set of spokes straighten. Don't think you'd get 0.5cm that way, though it may not be far off. You wheels should be laced so the spokes move away from the caliper under braking – that means the ones under more tension (the leading ones http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#definitions ) should be on the outside of the cross, so heads out.

VanHalen

my old hope brake calipers fouled the spokes on one of my wheels.

i think it depends on the hub flange size, caliper type/size and disk size. you might need to get a bigger rotor.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Spoke brake interface again’ is closed to new replies.