Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Spikes?
  • alpinegirl
    Free Member

Hello

Just wondering if anyone had much experience of using spiked tyres? The trails around here (Tirol) are a mix of dirt, soft snow and hard-packed ice so I need a bit of a do-it all tyre. The downhills on ice are pretty sketchy on my normal tyres!

If anyone has any recommendations that would be great. Also if you have seen them on sale anywhere even better.

Thanks!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Used conti snow claw. They are a half spike tyre with 120 spikes. astounding grip on ice. Makes no great odds in snow

epicyclo

Yup, used Snow Studs, Ice Spikers, Ice Spiker Pro, Nokkian Extreme 294.

Great on ice, and useful over muddy roots.

Otherwise a bit like dragging a sandbag behind the bike and no advantage over ordinary knobbies.

willurd
    Free Member

sorry, couldnt help myself

Colin-T

Can't say much for snow spikes as never used 'em but my experience of Mud spikes is that you need a mostly muddy ride as they are as poor on hard surfaces as they are good in mud.

alpinegirl
    Free Member

hhm… okay. No raving reviews then. Maybe I should got the chain route!?

urgh – that video reminds me of the time I dropped a dart in my foot when wearing wellies. Didn't really notice until I took them off and realised the boot had quite a lot of blood in it.

jemima
    Free Member

You want a rave review? I LOVE my Nokian Extreme ice tyres. If you're riding on hard ice they are awesome. They're not good on rocks and draggy on dirt but if your ride is say 50:50 dirt/ice then I would absolutely go for them! Instead of falling over on ice all the time you can pretty much ride at summer speeds 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Spikes?’ is closed to new replies.