Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Speedo/computer things & magnets
  • bearnecessities

Are they all equal?

Just pieced together an old spesh wired computer, but waggling a wheel magnet of unknown provenance past the sensor is registering nothing.

I suspect it’s the sensor that’s knackered? 🙁

imnotverygood

A magnet is a magnet…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yeah magnets are magnets in this situation.

bearnecessities

Yeah, I felt stupid asking the question! Just at a loss why a wired sensor (reed switch?) would pack up.

Oh well, arse.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Are you just looking for a basic wired one for speed?

bearnecessities

I am a cock, just in case it was ever in doubt.

I was getting frustrated as to why it wasn’t working, so unraveled the whole cable.

“Huh. That’s long”

*brain ticks over ever so slowly….remembers last bike it was on*

“Oh”

It’s not a wired computer, it’s wireless.

I’ve been cleaning contacts, holding the wired sensor up to my ears and general mucking about…..against the cadence sensor.

Found the wireless sender for forks – worked straight off.

Nob.

However, I only have a wheel magnet – does anyone have a crank arm magnet thing please? I never took it off the last bike this speedo was used on (can you tell I haven’t ridden for some time?)

Ta 😳

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I lost our running total milage for my “round the world” trip by standing next to a huge substation in Australia. It added 15,000km in a couple of minutes 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Crank magnets can be bought, cateye do themfor one.

bearnecessities

I’m sure they can be bought, I’m just punting on an opportunity that some kind soul my have one in their spares box.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I just used a rare earth magnet i had kicking around and it just sticks to the pedal axle.

I don’t think i have any left but I’ll look.

leffeboy

that some kind soul my have one in their spares box.

Used to have one but stuck it on a friend’s bike as an ‘extra’ – he thought he was going twice as fast as he was 🙂 . Amusing when he found out

timba
    Free Member

As above, any decent small magnet. You can put a wrap of tape around it if it won’t stick to your crank or pedal spindle. I’ve got a spare spoke-mounted one (somewhere??) if that’s any good

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Speedo/computer things & magnets’ is closed to new replies.