Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Specialized control casing durability
  • ybsurf
    Free Member

Just looking at a light capable trail tires for next summer my friend is going to give me a slaugther to replace my ardent 2.4 which I think is OK at best. Looking to replace my minion dhf 2.3 exo and specialized control casing are really light and tread of butcher looks good and ground as well. How’s the control casing is for moderate to agressive trail riding on vancouver island terrain?

slimporcini
    Free Member

I ripped a whole in a slaughter control on the first climb since going tubeless. i boughts grid casings straight after that ride.

qwerty
    Free Member

Go Grid.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Depends on where you ride. I use a mixture of control and sworks Spesh tyres , the sworks is lighter and thinner but work fine for me. The grid does seem like a tough tyre though and all are very good value

sharkattack

I’ve had controls on my hardtail for two years now. Never had a puncture. The current set are almost bald and the casings are still solid. I’ll be replacing them with the same.

I think you can rip anything. If you get unlucky on your first ride you might blame the tyre. They’re not fragile in my experience.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Never had an issue with Control casings if i’m honest; I am however more of an XC / marathonista than a radgnarcore gnarpoonist.

sideshow
    Free Member

Did you like your minion dhf exo?

Look at the weights
    Control is lighter than dhf exo
    Grid is a little heavier
    That alone tells you all you need to know about durability

I don’t know your island but if the trails have many rocks and you’re riding aggressively then I’d go for grid.

I didn’t unexpectedly destroy my butcher control (stupidly light tyre to sell on an enduro) but the sidewalls did wear out pretty fast. Replaced with dhf exo for lots of rocky uk riding and I’m a happy bunny.

Yak

Controls are a good reasonably durable xc casing. They will tear easily on a flint or sharp root though. They also tend to weep sealant after a while. Imo – on par with the lighter conti protections – also easily torn sidewalls, but not as good as vittoria xc tyres.

Sounds like you need to go tougher/heavier.

Northwind

I used a butcher control (26) as a rear tyre for about 2 years, never had a problem and it didn’t get babied (2 years of scottish enduro series inc one on a hardtail, 2 enduro world serieses, various uplifts), but it’s certainly a lightweight carcass. TBH I’m quite light and for whatever reason I’m not hard on sidewalls, ymmv. It’s also a relatively hard rubber- I loved it as a 26 inch rear, it rolls quick for what it is, it gives decent grip in any conditions and when it slides it slides beautifully… But on the front, I just found it a bit too skiddy, if there was a supertacky control I’d have been over the moon.

(Worth mentioning that control isn’t a single casing design, different control tyres are built differently depending on their purpose, so an XC control tyre is much lighter weight and thinner than a butcher. So don’t get caught up with people talking about other models)

(aside; didn’t like it in 29. Don’t know why)

PJM1974
    Free Member

I guess it depends on the terrain. Round my way, it’s mainly flinty chalk so Control and S-Works casings aren’t really up to the job. Since I’ve switched to Grid tyres, I’ve not had nearly as many punctures or sidewall rips.

Also, the Control can be quite squirmy at lower pressures. Grid casings are noticeably more stable.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Specialized control casing durability’ is closed to new replies.