• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by aP.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Specialized Allez 24 or Kona Honky Tonk
  • Conqueror
    Free Member

Specialized Allez 24 or Kona Honky Tonk (2010)

Looking at these two beasts and can’t decide which to go for. The Kona is steel and the Spec is Alu with carbon fork.

The Specy is lighter and more race orientated but the Kona is a decent spec and not too much heavier +2lbs I think. Whichever I get I would use this bike in the winter as well as summer.

Am I right in saying fitting any guards on the Specy wouldnt be much fun?

Any views?

Conqueror
    Free Member

Leaning toward the Kona it must be said. The Specy felt insanely light to pick up for the money though.

Anyone own either?

carlos
    Free Member

Just sold a 2010 Allez Triple. It’s a great bike in my opinion for anybody starting out. At 10kg excluding pedals its a nice weight and the spec isn’t bad either. It rides nice and smooth and the carbon forks and alloy frame help reduce the vibration in the wrists and bum from the good old GB roads. The riding position is a little racey but even so its comfortable for even all day rides. Rode it last summer and enjoyed every ride and it inspired me to upgrade, which is the only reason I sold it, to a full Carbon bike.

Can’t comment on the Kona, but it’d have to be very good to beat the spesh imo

Conqueror
    Free Member

The Kona is a slightly different beast steel frame and fork. Its still quite light though. Its certianly not as racey as the Specy, but perhaps more versatile.

Some of the kona parts:

Crankarms FSA Gossamer
    Chainrings 34/50
    F/D Shimano Sora
    R/D Shimano Sora
    Shifters Shimano Sora
    Brakes Tektro R538
    Brake Levers Shimano Sora
    Front hub Formula
    Rear hub Shimano Tiagra

Ive never ridden with carbon forks or a road bike for that matter. Closest thing ive ridden is an XC race bike with easton ultralight tubing 😆

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

My only experience is in buying an Allez used (I bought an Allez 18 for a nephew) – they seem to hold their value pretty well.

In my 10 min spin around the block on it I decided I needed one too. Havent seen one cheap enough yet!

Conqueror
    Free Member

Any other opinions?

Seen the a King Zing 2010
    RRP £769.99
    Only £419.99
    Save £350.00

Im still thinking about the Honky Tonk though.

Is it really much of a ballache having an Alu-frame and Carbon fork. Im slightly more concerned about the Alu/Carbon set-up if I was to leave the bike around town (not regularly of course).

Dont think the Allez is as easy to fit guards to as the HT.

It rides nice and smooth and the carbon forks and alloy frame help reduce the vibration in the wrists and bum from the good old GB roads

How noticeable is this. Anyone ridden both steel forks and carbon on road bikes?

aP
    Free Member

I have road bikes with both carbon forks and 531 forks. The biggest difference is in weight as both bikes ride similarly just separated by something like 4kg in weight.
    Don’t get too hung up just choose the one that costs what you’re prepared to pay, fits you best and portrays the image that you want it to. Oh and is the right colour.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Allez 24 or Kona Honky Tonk’ is closed to new replies.