Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Spearfish build, techincal issues, fork steerer length and stem/headset
  • weeksy

Evening guys,

Well i’ve stripped the Giant XTC29 frame which has now been sold on, started on the build of the spearfish.

This is where it’s all gone a little wrong.

The steerer on the fork is (i think) too short. I’m running a 45mm stack height stem, with a Hope headset. (Not fitted the head doctor insert yet, still has the SFN installed). So my problem is that the steerer comes up short by 22mm. So, i’ve been doing a few calculations and what i realistically need is a 20mm stack height stem. A 15mm would be even better…

I’m not hugely concerned about the length/reach on it at this stage as i’ve no idea what the bike is like anyway hahaha.

So lads… inspire me ?

(I don’t want to go down the road of selling the Fox forks and replacing with another set of Rockshox (which IMO are not as good).

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Is it a normal 1 1/8th headset with external cups?
    How about a zero stack headset? That would give the difference. You only need the steerer to come till 4-5mm below the top of the stem…

weeksy

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=80887

One of these lads ?
    “Fits direct mount Marzocchi forks 2011 and older”

druidh
    Free Member

Yer ****.

weeksy

LOL cheers dude 🙂

weeksy

New uppers or forks isn’t inspiring me LOL..

18mm gap and a 45mm stem currently installed.

yossarian
    Free Member

Zero stack headset or new forks

weeksy

If we’re straight onto

“Just get new forks mate”

How about a set of these instead of the Fox 100 (tapered 15mm) compared to these Rebas ?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/frame-forks/forks-shocks/rockshox-suspension-forks/rockshox-reba-rlt-29er-2012.html

£269 with Merlin 10% discount

khani
    Free Member

Have you got a side on pic, if its a 44mm semi integrated headset the top cup should be flush’ish with the top of the headtube, yours looks like its got a external top cup under the stem,
    From the pics it doesn’t look quite right, maybe…

weeksy

Give us 2 mins 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

That stem wont work.it clamps on and bolts to the crown……

weeksy

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Thought they used Semi-integrated headsets on them..Not External cups

singlespeedstu

Looks like new fork time to me.

weeksy

You have to forgive me mate, i’m not an expert on headset types/names and descriptions. This is a Hope headset, fits into the recess in the top and bottom on an angled spacer/bearing, with a lower bit beneath and then the crown race (on top of steerer) The top is the same in reverse lol

khani
    Free Member

I think you’re screwed… Sorry. 🙁 the other pics look like there’s more under the stem,

warpcow
    Free Member

There should be a couple of 30mm stack stems out there. Ragley Stubbing is claimed 30mm, so should be bang on the limit of what you can get away with.

Clink

Ragley Stubbing is claimed 30mm, so should be bang on the limit of what you can get away with.

35mm?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Sorry,Just seen the other pictures,You have the correct headset..oops

jameso
    warpcow
    Free Member

Aah, I’ve only heard it called 30mm, never measured one. A quick google reveals some possibilities, all of them short (in length).

weeksy

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47923

Ragley stubbing (as predicted above by Warp) seems to be stack height of 30-32 depending on who measured it…. That would put my top of fork steerer 3mm below top of stem….

We’d be happy with that ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its one thingngetting a low stack stem but your positions non adjustable…and likely will be wrong ?

weeksy

trail_rat – Member
    Its one thingngetting a low stack stem but your positions non adjustable…and likely will be wrong ?

Well only slightly yes… I could adjust up or down with higher/flat bars to an extent i guess.

I’m not completely against buying new forks if that’s my only really sensible option…. However, i’d rather not as it then means selling the Fox’s (which should be fairly simple?)

matt_outandabout

That would put my top of fork steerer 3mm below top of stem….

We’d be happy with that ?
    I would – it has to be a few mm shy to allow you to tighten enough.

yossarian
    Free Member

I’d change the fork rather than fanny around with a headset (and likely setup) you don’t want. PITA though, especially with a new frame waiting.

weeksy

Well, i’m now the proud owner of :

Rockshox Reba RLT 29er 2012 White – 15mm Axle – Crown Lockout – Tapered Steerer

singlecrack
    Free Member

Tbh it all looks very nice …..but I think you’ll find everything would have fitted fine on a Yelli Screamy no probs 😉

weeksy

Even the rear shock ?

weeksy

Apart from the fork issue, the overall build went… reasonably well.

As well as ordering the forks, i’ve ordered the Ragley Stubbing stem, i’ll try the stem, see how it fits/looks and make some decisions on the plan from there.

Sadly my rear brake cable either needs routing along the top tube (which i don’t fancy in all honesty) or replacing with a longer brake hose. It’s about 608″ too short. I could theoretically re-route using some of the CRC cable stick on guides… but, if you’re going to do a job, do it properly i guess. So will get a new hose on there.

The gearing is sorted, the chainguide is sorted, bars sorted and even the seat is on there and funnily enough my old charge spoon was orange too 🙂 lol. So not all is lost.

rOcKeTdOg

never mind the headset, those bars are minging

weeksy

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    never mind the headset, those bars are minging

I’ve got a set of Orange Raceface just waiting for me to click the button, but i’ve tied up almost £1000 of paypal funds this week with the frame, mech hanger, forks, bits n bobs.. so the bars will have to remain ugly a while longer.

weeksy

Looking in the cold light of day, things don’t seem so terrible 🙂

Worst case scenario i spend £270 and have a new set of forks on the new frame.
    Best case, the forks go back and the new stem goes on….

The brake hose i can get sorted fairly easily.. .So it’s just a question of waiting till Monday till the forks and the stem arrive and seeing where we go from there…

Just wanted to say Thank You really to everyone who contributed.

khani
    Free Member

You’ll get over £200 for your Fox forks assuming they’re in good nick, so you won’t lose your shirt either way,
    The bike looks ace! 😀 cept those bars.. 😉

slinkybike
    Free Member

Tell us how it rides looking good so far, you won’t be dissapointed with the rebas just be regular with your lower services and the ocasional full strip down. If you not shy with mecainical work I would drop the lowers pre first ride and add some extra lube like slick honey and some heavy weight oil they are a bit shy on the lube from new I think it’s to stop leaking in transit.

weeksy

There you whinging sods…. i’ve swapped the bars out 🙂

Yes, i know i need to wash the bowl….not got round to it yet as i was rushing to get my boy to school 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

i hate to tell you this but those brake levers don’t match!

wwaswas

someone’s nicked the spokes out of your front wheel.

[edit] maybe he’s black/white colour blind?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Excellent use of kitchen as workshop btw. My wife would stick me with a carving knife if I tried the same

wwaswas

My wife would stick me with a carving knife if I tried the same

It’s ok, he’s put the knife block behind the bike 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Spearfish build, techincal issues, fork steerer length and stem/headset’ is closed to new replies.