Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Spank Oozy Bead Bite Rims
  • matt07
    Free Member

Anyone run the Spank Oozy Bead Bite Rims? Look similar width to Stans Flow EX but a fair bit lighter. Quite tempted….

warns74
    Free Member

Not quite the answer you were looking for, but:

I had the Oozy 260 Evo wheelset on my stumpy 29er, loved them and would happily buy them again (only this time in 295 beadbite flavour). 1800g for the 29er wheelset was one of the main reasons I chose them over flows. I’m 15 stone and they had 18 months of riding including a trip to the Alps, couple of trips to BPW etc with only a new rear wheel bearing replaced.

I’d either buy the 295 wheelset again or have the rims built up onto Hope hubs.

I also have a set of Arch EX rims and the finish on the Oozy’s was so much nicer.

leegee

I’m keeping an eye on this, all the Spank stuff I’ve had has been really good.
    It’s these or some WTB aysm i29

100mphplus
    Free Member

Yep I’ve got the Oozy Trail 295 on my Ghost Riot LT ‘enduro’ bike, running a Fr Minnion and Rr Mavic Quest tubeless and did 5 gravity enduro races on them last year and all still straight and true.
    Great rims.

Actually considering running them on my DH bike this year with Deaneasy system, (similar to Pro-Core).

jim79
    Free Member

Had them on my Rune for just over a year, they’ve survived fairly regular trips to Gawton and Grogely and a week in Finale. Still smooth and straight, with only a couple dents and one broken spoke to show for it, would definitely buy again.

matt07
    Free Member

Good feedback, cheers. Any problems putting them up tubeless? Thin spank do their own rim tape if i remember correctly?

poah
    Free Member

got the spank trail bite wheel set on my dartmoor hornet, no issue with rims and go up easy tubeless. I used DT swiss valves and gorrilla tape with stans fluid.

jairaj

Another very happy user of the older non bead bite rims. Taken a lot of abuse and a few dents and still running straight.

Not run them tubeless yet as the design greatly reduces the chance of pinch punctures so haven’t felt the need to convert. I managed to put a dent in the rear after taking a very harsh landing on square edge rock and the tube stayed up fine. After that I didn’t really have any inkling to covert.

the maxxis ignitors on mine are quite baggy and I imagine I’d have to build up the tape to get them to seal properly. On Crest rims they were quite tight.

puffballs
    Free Member

I have the 650b 295’s built with 32 spokes per wheel onto hope hubs & set them up tubeless with Maxxis minion DH tyres dual ply.
    Used the spank valves & stans yellow tape.
    The tyres were a tight fit, had to use lots of soapy water and 60psi to get them to seat.
    I expect other tyres might be easier to get on, the full DH tyres have always been tight in my experience.
    Used them in the Alps & various UK trail centres, they’ve been excellent.
    Hubs, spokes & rims weighed in at 862g front & 892g rear
    Slightly heavier than with the spank hub/spoke combo but I wanted to be able to easily replace spokes when away.

timbud
    Free Member

Also got the 295 wheelset on my bike. Used them guiding in the Alps all through the summer and apart from the usual truing tweaks they’ve been brilliant.
    A tiny bit flexy in the rear if you’re pushing hard and can dent quite easily.

I use only the 19mm stans tape so it doesn’t over the beadbite and it works perfectly.

(Am looking forward to the new trail 345s that were announced last year)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Spank Oozy Bead Bite Rims’ is closed to new replies.