Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • SPAM – what do you do..
  • surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

When they keep sending you emails, even although you message them back either through “unsubscribe” or the email on their website to stop?

tomhoward

Filter out all mails with the word ‘unsubscribe’ in them.

Cougar

If you “unsubscribe” to unsolicited emails, all it does is verify that your email address is valid and ‘live,’ therefore worth more to them when they sell your details on spam lists. Don’t do that.

Once you’re on their lists, the only real option you’ve got for a permanent solution is to change addresses. Choose a name that’s hard to guess; a lot of spam is sent to speculative addresses, so if your email is something like “chris@webmail.com” or “info@yourdomain.com” you’re going to get spammed to death.

Most of my email goes through one or another of the well-known webmail providers these days. I get very little unfiltered spam.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Yeah i get the unsolictoed stuff and my spam filters pick it up – but this is a bone fide business that i once bought something from 5 years ago and I cant get them to stop emailing me.

They sell Military memorabilia (not the right word I know but can’ think of anything else) basically I bought some old army hats n stuff for a party and now they keep trying to punt WWII german medals to me 👿

cranberry
    Free Member

Get yourself a domain name – for example surroundedbyhills.me.uk.

Every company that asks for an email address – give them a new one. Have all addresses forwarded to your normal mail account.

e.g. wiggle@surroundedbyhills.me.uk
    shonky_co@surroundedbyhills.me.uk

If you get spam on an address then block the address.

You will have a good overview of your mail, and will know exactly who it was forwarded your email address to spammers if you have any junk mail come through to you.

nickjb
    Free Member

Lots of filtering here. I get hardly any spam into my in box at all despite using the same hotmail address on loads of forums and websites for many years. As above never respond or click on a link in a spam mail. I find by selecting ‘junk’ rather than delete for unwanted mail my mail account quickly learns.

EDIT, if it’s just one supplier then block them or redirect all their mail to the junk folder

br
    Free Member

If you respond, they know its a live account…

Cougar

this is a bone fide business that i once bought something from 5 years ago and I cant get them to stop emailing me.

Ring them up and give them a bollocking.

Edukator
    Free Member

Years ago I had an e-mail account that was so spammed up (I made the mistake of clicking “désabonnner” that Cougar warns against) I gave up on it. After leaving it dormant for around five years I used it for a transaction that was obviously going to attract spam. Checking the account daily for a reply I realised the account no longer attracted any spam at all.

MrGreedy

cranberry – Member

Get yourself a domain name – for example surroundedbyhills.me.uk.

Every company that asks for an email address – give them a new one. Have all addresses forwarded to your normal mail account.

I keep meaning to do this after seeing it suggested here previously. Does it make much difference which reg you do it through? Any other pointers on the best way to set it up? Are you just forwarding them all to your usual mailbox then using rules to filter by to: address?

zilog6128

I’m on gmail, very rarely (only a few times a year maybe) get genuine spam. Quite novel and exciting when it does happen actually! Lots of marketing mails that I guess I signed up to at some point, but if I mark them as junk then they disappear and I never hear from them again!

Cougar

Does it make much difference which reg you do it through?

Some are more expensive than others, and some give varying degrees of control.

Mine is through 123-reg, can’t fault them (other than the interface being a little clunky I suppose). Just register the name then set up email forwarding to your regular account. (You can also buy their email services, but you don’t need to do that.)

Cougar

I’m on gmail, very rarely (only a few times a year maybe) get genuine spam.

I’ve not seen spam in my gmail account in years. Have you ever checked the spam folder on the web client though? I got a shock.

cranberry
    Free Member

Does it make much difference which reg you do it through? Any other pointers on the best way to set it up? Are you just forwarding them all to your usual mailbox then using rules to filter by to: address?

I used Easily.co.uk – never had any problems with them. Registering for 5 years was something like £20 last time IIRC.

Yes – just forward all to the one account. If an address is attracting spam then simply use local mail filters to send the messages straight to the junk folder.

EDIT: a benefit of your own domain is that you can very easily switch your ISP – simply change the destination for all emails from your domain to the account provided by your new ISP, and you are good to go.

CountZero

even although you message them back either through “unsubscribe” or the email on their website to stop?

Exactly the same as phone calls trying to sell all sorts of stuff.
    I only occasionally get spam, BT is pretty good at filtering stuff.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘SPAM – what do you do..’ is closed to new replies.