Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • So..who fell off yesterday on the black ice?
  • butlerjamesp
    Free Member

Going for the obligatory xmas day (road)ride and hit a nasty patch of black ice on a slight uphill corner, it felt like the slowest crash in the history of the known world, lass in the car who was behind me did look a bit startled to say the least…at least now i’ve learnt that after 860miles without a crash, it just takes one bit of ice to make full slicks absolutely useless!

rOcKeTdOg

Nope, was sunny and dry all day here yesterday, ridden without mishap thankfully

smogmonster

yep, me. Went out for a quick ride before the families arrived, got a mile down the lane and hit black ice at 20mph. My brand new Fiancée no rain jacket, Castelli tights and baselayer now all have bloody great holes in them. Rubbish.

Drac

Interrupt drinking time by riding my bike?

Nope no bike for me.

andycs

Had a bit of a Bambi moment whilst out for a run this morning!!

fourbanger
    Free Member

Nearly put my brother’s car up the bank. 14 years of driving and no accidents, never experienced such a complete loss of control. Luckily in a 30 limit doing around 20.

DrP

Not a biking injury, but i think I’ve broken a rib whilst pole dancing…

DrP

CaptJon
    Free Member

DrP – Member

We’re going to need some more details.

dabble
    Free Member

POIDH

on second thought, maybe pics aren’t needed, i believe you! Please don’t put up pics.

Shred
    Free Member

It was lethal out there this morning. It rained during the night, then cleared up with the temps dropping low.
    I went out early for a long ride, and almost came off on black ice going up hill, then did come off on ice on a descent. Luckily, I was going really slowly due to the conditions, so just a bruised hip.
    By the time I decided this was a bad idea, it was too late. I hoped that things would improve as I was now near sea level, but it was just as bad.

I don’t feel too bad as Cavendish also had problems this morning: https://twitter.com/markcavendish/status/416135701873565697

cynic-al
    Free Member

I came off on an icy patch on the road, lost some more skin and sore wrists 😡

gab344
    Free Member

Roads here seemed fine until suddenly five of us all came off within the space of a few moments, it was like watching a strike in 10 pin bowling. We all went down hard. Fortunately the only thing broken was a mech hanger. To quote Homer Simpson “Oww my ass!”

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Almost…
    Literally 100yards down the road, crossing a railway bridge on the uphill, I stood up to get over the slight rise and spun all over the place. Only my awesomz bike handling skilz kept me upright! 😆

nevermind
    Free Member

Not yesterday but last week pedalling to work, my bike went from under me for no apparent reason (must’ve been ice as it was a little bit frosty) and I went skidding 10 yards down the path on my backside while the bike went down the grassy bank to the side of me.

Strap broke on my rucksack, £5 to fix, smashed screen on my iphone, £40 to fix, hole in sleeve and back of jacket, £6 for tenacious tape to fix, got to work and realised both water bottles were missing £7-8 to replace. oh & ripped my saddle down one side but not bothered about that. Also holes in strides, base layer & fleece, all quite new but repairable.

first serious off in nearly three years. I’m glad there was no one around to see it.

Sancho
    Free Member

not me
    just a nice sunny day in the morning and in the eveining it was frosty but not bad, no mishaps, and today was excellent too

simonbowns
    Free Member

yep, twice on my road – fine once I hit gritted/A roads. sore thigh and ripped bar tape – thankfully nothing more!

globalti
    Free Member

Twice in three minutes on my crosser on the Preston Guild Wheel. Skinned right elbow and bruised left hip, both times on invisible black ice. Five minutes later the bloke in front of me went down then half an hour later we met a woman with head injuries then minutes after that a man with identical injuries from the same patch of water ice – he was confused and couldn’t remember what day it was, thought he knew the way home and wouldn’t allow us to accompany him.

Luckily not much damage to my bike and thank God it wasn’t the roadie!

Edric64
    Free Member

I crashed the other week and put it down to diesel .I hen had wheelspin on steep road climb which was odd .A change to new tyres sorted my problems .I reckon my long lived Gatorskins had got old and hard and lacked any form of grip .With a new set the bike feels much more sure footed

bokonon
    Free Member

Did 50km on the road road Bowland – came off on the way up Hall Hill, slow and not a problem, came off on the lancashire cycleway coming round a corner on a bend through Pendleton – didn’t feel too bad when a group of MXers came through after me and nearly came off exactly where I had. fingers covered in gravelly blisters, sore and bruised, graze on my hip, the only damage to the bike is the brake is a little out of line.

mrchrispy

bloody black ice claimed another victim today.

Chaple Lane, road that crossed the A556 near Tatton Park.

We successfully negotiated the corner that took down a group of 5 a few minutes ahead of us but 200m further up the road all we hit a patch that was verge to verge. I was in the middle of a vanilla ice ice baby joke and all 3 of us when down lightning fast, all bikes okay but 1 mate now in hospital with a possible broken hip!!!!

I think I have survivors guilt 🙁

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘So..who fell off yesterday on the black ice?’ is closed to new replies.