Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • South Downs Way – Trains
  • TheWookie
    Free Member

We are planning to do the SDW soon on two separate days (not consecutive) 50’ish miles each day.

Rather than take two cars one for each end does anyone know if there are any trains that can help. Say Winchester to Worthing? Worthing to Eastbourne

DaRC_L

Yep did the SDW a couple of years back with some friends – caught the train from Brighton to Winchester (think we had to change at Littlehampton) then the train from Eastbourne to Brighton – to get to Worthing you’d probably have to change at Brighton.

thomthumb
    Free Member

amberly is almost the halfway point and the sdw runs through the station carpark. It is also on the southampton-brighton line. if you look at trains from winchester to eastbourne you will probably be directed via clapham. May be worth looking at winchester-southampton- eastbourne as this puts you on the coat line – which runs parrallel to the SDW.

you can mail me if you need more advice.

HTH

soma_rich
    Free Member

Last time I did it I got the train to Eastbourne and camped in Washington (about half way) and finished in Winchester to get the train home.

NigE5
    Free Member

Wookie I did that method a few years back, Checked which way the wind was coming from first, then caught the train from Guildford to Eastbourne and cycled 55 miles to Amberly, where there is a train station I believe,( I had a lift back home that time).
    Then next weekend got the train to Winchester and cycled to Amberly and repeated the life method, I guess one could get the Train from Amberly.

TheWookie
    Free Member

I was thinking of going North to South as this seems more logical from where we live. So park in Winchester ride to Amberly then park in Amberly ride to Eastbourne and train back. Does this work or are we going to end up changing trains loads of times?

thomthumb
    Free Member

North to South

eh it runs east west mate!! 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

amberly – winch 2 changes

eastbourne – amberly 1 (maybe 2)

http://www.thetrainline.com

grahamb
    Free Member

You’d probably need 3 trains from Amberley back to Winchester & at least 3 from Eastbourne to Amberley. It would be one less train, but more riding, going to Worthing, Ford or Angmering. Worthing would probably make the most sense as it’s reasonably close to the SDW, all the fast trains to Southampton stop there.

Something to watch out for on the train on your way back, if you’re going to be doing that in the rush hour. Southern only allow folding bikes on trains leaving Brighton between 5pm & 7pm. No restrictions on trains into Brighton that time of day.

avdave2

If you can catch the wind right then Eastbourne to Winchester is probably easier in that you do the hardest riding first. The prevailing wind however is west to east so you have more chance of a tailwind starting in Winchester.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way – Trains’ is closed to new replies.