Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Soup is ace…
  • el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of Heinz cream of tomato soup. I recently found a dash lea & Perrin’s Worcestershire Sauce give it an added je ne sais quoi.

Anybody know of alternative C of Tom combos? or other quality soup ideas (inc. homemade)

enjoying a bowl of the good stuff as I type.

Hohum
    Free Member

My wife makes a bowl of very tasty soup, but she annoyingly tends to blend it all into a cream at the end.

My mother-in-law makes a wonderful broth, I much prefer a soup with a bit of texture in it.

BlobOnAStick

I fully concur, tucking into some of Eat’s finest chilli con carne as I type.

According to the ‘top 10 diet tips’ on BBC last night, soup keeps you fuller for longer as well. bonus!

Edit: that’s Chilli con carne soup, not the standard dish, although there ain’t that much difference….

elliptic
    Free Member

Our Tesco does plastic pots of garlic-y Toulouse sausage & bean soup whcih is rather good with wensleydale or cheshire cheese crumbled over and a big slab of crusty bread.

Nom and indeed, nom.

organic355
    Free Member

Ive got some home-made butternut squash soup with me today. Tasty stuff. had home-made lentil yesterday.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Just finished some homemade Carrott and Caraway seed soup for lunch, YUMMY!

matthewjb
    Free Member

Just finished a portion of Pret’s Celeriac Mash. Again a soup that sounds like something else.

Very yummy.

binners

Home-made soup is fab as its the comfort food of choice for the utterly and completely lazy bastard (ie: me). After all, it consists of

1. look in the bottom of the fridge for vegetable based matter. Any at all will do. In any combination
    2. Place in boiling water
    3. After leaving it for a bit,put it in a blender
    4. Eat

Now that is my type of cooking 🙂

Seriously though. If you want to make good homemade soup, this is the bible:

My favourite is the arbroath smoke and scottish cheddar soup. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I’m starving now 🙁

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Funnily enough I made soup for the first time this week! Butternut squash and sweet potato it was lush, had 2 chilli’s in it, which gave it a super kick. Loverrrlyy and so easy will definately be making some more soups soon. .. (runs off to look at book suggested above!)

matthewjb
    Free Member

I turned the remains of the Christmas turkey into a really nice soup/broth.

Lots of veg, the last bits of turkey, stock made from the bones and some chorizo for flavour/warmth.

peachos
    Free Member

mmmmm…just had new covent garden’s root veg medly! highly recommended.

one of my favourite homemade soups is pea & pesto. veg stock + diced potato + peas + pesto. easy and lovely.

chewkw
    Free Member

Heinz cream of tomato soup
    + 1tsp Good Oil
    + a bit of butter
    + Tobasco
    + black pepper

That’s what I like … hot hot hot …

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A nice one I’ve had is carrot, coriander and coconut. It also had some sort of chili in it to give it a nice kick too.

Kuco

Sweet potato and chilli is nice and simple to make, though I do like Heinz tommy with grated cheese on top.

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

I am currently half way through a bowl of pea and ham soup (a personal fave) but on other days I can also be found enjoying leek and potato, tomato and basil and fish chowder, along with many others. Yesterday I had slow roasted lamb with root vegetables (soup) which was incredibly tasty.

NOM NOM NOM

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

That bbc show last night said about soups and about low fat dairy… so… low fat milkshakes have to be the way forward?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of Heinz cream of tomato soup

😐 Isn’t it just liquefied tomato jam ?

And btw re : “I recently found a dash lea & Perrin’s Worcestershire Sauce give it an added je ne sais quoi” you might throw a bit of French into the argument, but it still doesn’t make it haute cuisine.

BigJohn

A real Frenchman would add a glug of red wine or sherry at the table.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’ve just been given a tin of Mulligatawny, is it nice?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

an added je ne sais quoi

I think I can answer that… it gives it an added taste of Lea & Perrin’s?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Our staff canteen defines food as anything that can be deep-fried, including the macaroni and cheese by the look of it. Yet somehow they do the best soups. Stick a spoon in and it’ll usually stay upright and their potato soup is a culinary masterpiece. With a nice crusty roll to go with it.
    Yum

snowslave

Home made spicy parsnip, with a bit of chilli sauce and some cream dripped in to it in a twirly manner is the business

Spongebob
    Free Member

1 Tin Heinz Tomato soup
    1 Tin Chopped Tomatos

Nice!

(healthier too)

Spongebob
    Free Member

Chicken caracass boiled for an hour.

Seive the stock into a pan and let carcass cool.

Add 2 chicken stock cubes

Add:

Chopped celery,

Carrot,

A little potato,

A dash of curry powder.

A spoon full of gravy granules

Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 mins.

Whizz up the whole lot with a hand blender.

Add Chicken bits from carcass and other bits carved from it beforehand.

Season to suit.

Simmer for another 15-20 mins and serve.

If you do a turkey version, add a tablespoon of cranberry sauce

Parsnip is a good addon, especially with the curry seasoning.

You can use up any old veg really.

Proper winter soup!!

binners

You forgot the pearl barley and lentils spongebob

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Soup is ace…’ is closed to new replies.