Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 173 total)
  • Sorry if this has already been done, but is IOS8 crap or what?
  • JCL
    Free Member

plus the way lower comparable spec make them worth it?
    Not to cherry pick a quote, but what is this bit in relation to? All Apple products? iPhones?

Well the products in general really. RAM is usually double on comparable tablets/comps for example.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Houns have you downloaded the new facebook app ? Facebook is generally the worst performing app on my iPhone though and pretty bad under iOS5 on my iPad1

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yeah, OK I was kidding about the 8.1 update making Windows phones safe to put in a microwave, but…

I did put it in this:

a 35W IR Diode laser [with the power turned down a lot] 🙂

The result:

CaptJon
    Free Member

i’d just like to thank all the testers in this thread for providing apple with useful feedback before the full launch (iOS8.1) is released.

If you don’t have the latest hardware -1, never update the OS!

GrahamS

As I said, iPhone 4S here (so latest hardware – 5ish) and it is fine with iOS 8.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@CaptJohn I rarely have the latest hardware and I always update the OS. I have never had the need to provide a bug report to Apple. As I posted I have the oldest phone (4S) which supports iOS8 and it runs fine.

Drac

5 here an no issues, going to update the rest of the Apple products tonight as I always use mine as the tester.

Battery life seems to have improved a little on mine, only apps that are crashing or ones where the producers are too slow to update.

muggomagic

Looks like some iPhone 6 users are getting bendy phones.

Ooops – story here

Drac

Oh dear!

jambalaya
    Free Member

This story is about an iPhone 6 plus, not sure why you’d put such a large phone in your pocket and then sit on it, surely its obvious it’s going to get broken ?

Jamie
    Free Member

*goes back to hammering in nails with iPhone 4*

muggomagic

*goes back to hammering in nails with iPhone 4*

I guess you’ll be doing that really slowly if it’s running iOS8

IGMC

Jamie
    Free Member

I guess you’ll be doing that really slowly if it’s running iOS8

IGMC

On your way out, don’t forget that iOS8 wont install on an iPhone 4.

GrahamS

not sure why you’d put such a large phone in your pocket and then sit on it, surely its obvious it’s going to get broken ?

What was it I was saying on the other thread about phones getting too big for pockets? 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I fancy a bigger phone for my next one. I actually prefer larger ones in my front pockets because they don’t slip down and wedge themselves sideways across your leg.

footflaps

Just put the bent phone in a vice and flatten it.

kimbers

This story is about an iPhone 6 plus, not sure why you’d put such a large phone in your pocket and then sit on it, surely its obvious it’s going to get broken ?

does that mean you have to carry a man bag if you have a 6+ ?

muggomagic

Could it be caused by hipsters and the tightness of their skinny jeans?
    Maybe this will see the return of the loose fit jeans of the 90s

Drac

This story is about an iPhone 6 plus, not sure why you’d put such a large phone in your pocket and then sit on it, surely its obvious it’s going to get broken

Would never happen with a smaller phone.

mogrim

Looks like some iPhone 6 users are getting bendy phones.

Ooops – story here

From that link: “some iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus users are complaining of a major design flaw that sees the smartphone body bend under pressure.”

Now I’m the last person to defend Apple, but really? I would never stick my Xperia in my back pocket and sit down, and if I did and it broke I wouldn’t consider it a “design flaw”…

Drac

Now I’m the last person to defend Apple, but really? I would never stick my Xperia in my back pocket and sit down, and if I did and it broke I wouldn’t consider it a “design flaw”…

Never done it with any phone I’ve used as sitting on something with LCD display, glass or other fragile parts is just stupid.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@kimbers, possibly yes. I have one for my iPad. I would say a high portion of the phablet users I have seen (esp in Asia) are women and they keep the phones in their handbags. Alternative is to have a shirt pocket or jacket.

You wouldn’t sit on your laptop so I struggle to see why you think you can sit on your phone.

GrahamS

I’ve accidentally sat on my 4S numerous times and only noticed when it rings or digs in – it’s never come to any harm. Easy to forget it’s in your back pocket if your mind is elsewhere, which mine frequently is 😀

Mind you I don’t wear hipster jeans or have a massive arse.

muggomagic

I don’t think this is happening because people are leaving them in their back pockets and sitting on them.

original macrumours story here

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t imagine putting a phone in my back pocket. It’d be trashed within a week.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

On the other hand my mates wife drove over her Iphone 5 with their SMax and apart from a shattered screen, which was repaired for £60, it worked perfectly and has been ever since.

kimbers

The bendy stories are from people apparently leaving their phones in the front pocket, skinny jeans may be a factor!

Im sure apple will deny there’s a problem and then offer a special case to fix the problem that doesnt exist, now where have I heard that before….?

Drac

Im sure apple will deny there’s a problem and then offer a special case to fix the problem that doesnt exist, now where have I heard that before….?

From Sony?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Photo sharing etc fine

No. No it’s not. Apple really mucked up photo management when they introduced iCloud/Photostream and iOS8 offers no improvement. I do hope they get their act together with the new Photos iOS and OSX apps, whenever they appear.

Drac

No. No it’s not. Apple really mucked up photo management when they introduced iCloud/Photostream and iOS8 offers no improvement.

In what way did they muck it up as seems Ok to me?

kimbers

Im not sure Jennifer Lawrence or Aubrey Plaza would agree 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

1. Take photos on iPhone
    2. Photos uploaded to Photostream automatically
    3. Photos automatically downloaded to all devices including Mac
    4. Sort/edit photos on Mac
    5. Sync sorted photos back to my iPhone (I want the good/edited ones on my phone, not the dross). I’ve set everything up so my last 10 events on my Mac sync automatically back to my iPhone

Following this workflow I end up with all the original unedited photos still on my iPhone as well as in the Photostream. This means duplicates and no easy way to bulk delete them.

Pre iCloud Photostream I had to manually transfer images from phone to Mac and then sync back to phone i.e. I treated the iPhone as if it were just another camera. The idea of Photostream still appeals as an automatic and temporary backup of photos. I could turn it off and work my old way, but if I turn Photostream off I’m conscious I’m swimming against the Apple current which, in my experience, leads to more frustrations.

I’m open to suggestions

Drac

On an iOS device using iOS 7 or later:

Open the Photos app.
    Tap the Albums tab.
    Tap My Photo Stream.
    Tap Select.
    Tap one or more photos. Checkmarks denote photos you have selected.
    Tap the Trash icon. Tap Delete [number] Photos.

Im not sure Jennifer Lawrence or Aubrey Plaza would agree

If only they’d used less obvious security questions. 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Open the Photos app.
    Tap the Albums tab.
    Tap My Photo Stream.

On iOS8 I have no Photostream album.

That aside, the problem with this solution is that I’ve already sorted and deleted the photos outside of the Photostream. I don’t want to have to go through it all again. What I want/expect Photostream to be is an automatic way of temporarily backing up my photos and automatically transferring to my Mac. This bit it does. However I want it to be in the background and not feature in my Photos app under Collections at all.

Apple have half-implemented a multi-device cloud photo management infrastructure that – for me – arguably causes more problems than it solves.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Photostream is not simply a photo back up feature, it is as you say a multi-device photo sharing/management thing – there is no half implementation. If you don’t like it you can turn it off and use one of the plethora of simple photo back up and sharing options our there like Flikr.

Having multiple Apple devices is seems to me that Apple have it well sorted. Your device is only a window into a common environment so you have photo’s, music, apps etc shared across all devices, so moving from my iphone, to ipad to mac is consistent in terms of available content. I like it and it works well. You can always turn these features off if you don’t like them.

IOS8 does seem to have got rid of the Photostream folder and combined your camera roll and photostream folder into a ‘Recently Added’ folder.

Who says all devices have to work in the same way? Apple have their own philosophy and users pay their money and take their choices. If you’ve bought the wrong phone for your uses, don’t blame Apple.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

wobbliscott have you any practical tips for me that will address any of my issues?

it is as you say a multi-device photo sharing/management thing

It’s not there yet. Apple did talk about changes to their photo apps on iOS and OSX in their developer conference in the Summer which look like they will do what I’m after. I’ve heard little more about it since though.

CountZero

kimbers – Member
    Im not sure Jennifer Lawrence or Aubrey Plaza would agree

Social engineering, innit.

hammyuk
    Free Member

The issue is by combining the photo albums they’ve **** it up for other stuff!
    Take Messenger for example – I have roughly 4k pics on phone.
    However because of what Apple have done – I only have access to “recent pics” or other folders – NOT the full amount of pics on the phone. Theres no way of getting to them.

Drac

However because of what Apple have done – I only have access to “recent pics” or other folders – NOT the full amount of pics on the phone. Theres no way of getting to them.

I can access all mine.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 173 total)

The topic ‘Sorry if this has already been done, but is IOS8 crap or what?’ is closed to new replies.