Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Sorry, another tubeless thread…..
  • Denis99
    Free Member

I have always managed to make my wheels and tyres tubeless with different rims and tyre combinations.

Until now.

DT Swiss BR 2250 rims, had great and easy success with Jumbo Jims, Maxxis Mamoths, 45 NRTH Husker Du.

All fitted and inflated with the use of the Airshot canister, relatively simply.

Wanted to fit a Surly Nate 120 tpi on the front wheel for a bit more grip.

The inside diameter of the tyre is slightly larger than the rim, and the tyre will just slide over the outer rim with ease. Even when you can get the tyre onto the rim and stay there, when inflating the air just rushes out .

Putting a tube inside to seat the tyre on to the rim doesn’t work either.
    Inflated the tyre and inner tube to 30 psi and left overnight to seat.

As soon as you release the pressure to remove the inner tube, the tyre just separates from the rim and the tyre almost falls off the rim.

Only way seems to run with an inner tube, but in the event of a puncture I am concerned that the tyre might easily just roll off the rim, and leave me with some close foliage inspection.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

tried this?

belugabob – Member
    Try this…

Get hold of one of those ratchet straps that you can use for securing cargo onto a roof rack or truck
    With both beads of the tyre on the rim, tie the ratchet strap around the outside of the tyre (along the part of the tyre that contacts the ground.
    Tighten it up so that it squishes the tyre in the same way that sitting on your bike does – but the strap does this all the way round.
    With the sidewalls (and hopefully the beads) now in contact with the rim, inflate the tyre.
    As you inflate, and the tyre starts to seat on the rim, you can gradually loosen the strap.

Pour yourself a beer

Denis99
    Free Member

Similar, did put the inner tube around the outside of the Nate, but it just caused the Nate to crinkle up with an even bigger gap between the tyre and rim.

It’s like a “wizards sleeve”……

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

i’m at loss then, superglue?! more rim tape?

Denis99
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m close to giving up really.

The inner diameter of the tyre is much larger than the outside of the rim. The tyre literally falls off.

Running a tube doesn’t seem sensible given that in the event of a puncture the tyre will probably roll off.

Northwind

Sounds like the bead could be stretched maybe? My Bud was a relatively loose fit but still within spec.

Tubelessing on the BR710 rims can be a pain in the baws though, they have a good bead for tubeless but getting a tyre onto it isn’t always straightforward. For my Minions I found the trick isn’t a ratchet strap but cable ties (reusable ones, to avoid waste)- I put them right around the centre of the tyre and tighten them up a few clicks at a time all around the tyre, it pulls it onto the rim much more evenly than a ratchet does.

Denis99
    Free Member

Brand new Surly Nate,mshould rename as Wizards Sleeve.

Just put a used Maxxis Mammoth on the same wheel, and it inflated first time with the Airshot.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Sorry, another tubeless thread…..’ is closed to new replies.