Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Sore hands from riding road bike
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

Well not quite a road bike its a CX bike but the bars are the same 8)

I’ve noticed that after riding (not during) and maybe not until the next day the outer part on my hands hurt. For example if I turn my hands over (palms up) and bend my fingers into a loose fist the two smallest hands bones feel bruised.

I tend to ride on the hoods and flat bar , I hardly use the drops. I also only using basic unpadded gloves.

Does anyone else get this? or any idea’s how to tackle it?

simondbarnes

I also only using basic unpadded gloves.

Try padded ones then. Spesh BG Pro or BG Gel gloves are both v good.

oldgit
    Free Member

Tend to ride gloveless without problems, but good cork tape makes a big difference as do Cinelli gel pads.
    MTB mitts tend to be over padded.

If you ride the hoods, which is my favourite position, try raising them. It’s hard to explain but youre hands might be going over the bars to reach the hoods? Raise them so the hood tops are almost paralelel with the bar tops. This means when youre holding the hoods the heel of your hand is resting nicely on the bars.

Edit; funnily enough I have two sets of BG mitts, MTB ones though and there seems to be too much padding?

crazy-legs

Sounds like your position on the bike is wrong, that’s classic ulnar nerve pain.
    Specialized make gloves with specific padding supposedly to help prevent that but that’s addressing the result rather than the actual root problem which is incorrect body positioning and/or bike fit.

It may not be a case of too much weight on your hands either, it’s often connected with being too tense on the bike and too much weight on the shoulders rather than needing to raise the bars. Without seeing you on the bike it’s impossible to say but it’d be worth going to a good roadie shop and getting their opinion on bike fit.

flashes
    Free Member

I can recommend the Spec BG gloves. 120km today with inappropriate bars, fine…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Sore hands from riding road bike’ is closed to new replies.