Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Sonos
  • mikey74
    Free Member

OK, I’m looking to dip my toe in the manky pool of Sonos and I was wondering if you have any tips on which setup will work best.

It will be used to play music in one 5x5m room (living room) and will be used to play music stored on my Synology NAS. I also wouldn’t mind being able to stream stuff from my Macbook, but that’s not essential.

I currently play music on my “traditional” hi-fi using a Android phone/Google Chromecast Audio connection, so I am happy to use my phone as the main “player”.

BoardinBob

Sonos 3 here in a similar sized room. Plenty loud. Love mine

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I don’t think much of the speakers themselves, but the player is fine.

I’ve no knowledge of the sound bar

Sandwich

If it matters to you Sonos are due to update their T’s & C’s to allow them to collect more data on the usage, location and network info. If you won’t accept them you lose the security updates and extra functions. Details on The Register

bigG
    Free Member

Sonos 5 in a similar sized room and it sounds amazeballs, got a play 3in my daughters room which is a wee bit smaller and to be honest it’s probably big enough to fill the living room with sound.

Have you considered a pair of play1 working in stereo? I had that set up in my living room before I bought the play 5 and it was pretty good imho.

onandon
    Free Member

Purchased three 5s and two 3s. Thought it sounded pretty crap ( lifeless ) so returned it all to the store.

CaptainSlow

I’ve got a 5 in the bedroom. The best thing I can say about it is that it is convenient.

It replaced an old mini hifi thing. I miss the mini hifi. If I was doing it again I’d get an amp that streams and a pair of speakers

The one speaker, while very, very good for one speaker, just isn’t as good as two speakers.

Bear
    Free Member

Consensus I read was a pair of ones is better than a single 3, which works out a similar price.
    I went for the pair and have to say think they are very good. Prefer the pair to other single speaker set upsI’ve heard.

mikey74
    Free Member

No, a 3 is £270, whereas 2 1s is £380

wilburt
    Free Member

Alexa an amp and speakers way better imo.

grim168
    Free Member

We have a pair of ones in the living room and a single one in the kitchen. They are good but not fantastic. I’m no audiophile so they are ok by me but I get the lifeless comment above. They are easy to use with the app and convinient as we use spotify.

DT78
    Free Member

Have a 5 and a 1, when I first got them there wasn’t much out there to rival them. Currently they haven’t pulled their finger out and integrated with Alexa so I have swapped to a echo in the kitchen. I’d probably go for any number of the decent Bluetooth speakers now. Good but overpriced probably won’t be getting any more.

Bear
    Free Member

When I bought mine it was before the recent price rises and there was much less difference in the two costs, haven’t looked at prices recently am surprised how much more they are.

sadexpunk

Anyone care to provide any links to streaming amps please?

mikey74
    Free Member

I’d probably go for any number of the decent Bluetooth speakers now.

Any recommendations?

renton
    Free Member

I’ve got a play bar and 2 1’s in the front room as a bit of a surround system.

Works reasonably well although I would prefer music from just the 1’s instead of the bar aswell.

My two 1’s cost £299 as a pair last Xmas.

I was looking at adding a sub but the price rises have put me off for now.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Bought a Sonos 1 for my kitchen a month or so ago. Expected to be blown away based on the hyperbole and reviews, sounded awful, turned off bass boost, whatever it’s called (which is on by default), sounded a smidge better, but still pretty tragic for a near £200 device.

I’m told it sounds ok with more vocal based music and classical, but for rock, metal and dance it is total bobbins, actually pretty shocked at how bad it was. To replace it bought a pair of active bookshelf speakers and plugged in a Chromecast audio. Nowhere near as good as a Sonos for a discreet device but the sound is so, so much better. If you’re used to the sound of a traditional hifi, I think you’ll find the Sonos a disappointment.

Also, the price of the Sonos Sub, jeez, ballsy move

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I have a playbar and a pair of Play 1’s in the lounge and a single play 1 in the kitchen and a play 1 upstairs. I think they sound stunning, it’s just a shame you can’t use the surround sound rears as a stereo pair.

niksnr
    Free Member

I got a pair of Cambridge ceiling speakers with an AMP and a Bridge in the kitchen, a Sonos 3 in lounge and a 1 in daughters bedroom. Thank god speakers are in kitchen and not my 11year olds room! They’re bloody awesome!

freddiest

I have a play 1. It’s expensive for what it is but much better value than separates I’d say. I’ve had a few mid range setups which the sonos can’t match for sound but it isn’t as far off as some are saying on here in my opinion. I’m happy I got rid of my collection of expensive boxes for the sonos. Listen to so much more now and am quite happy with the sound.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Sonos’ is closed to new replies.