• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Something of a long shot….any Prison Nurses in STW-Land?
  • smogmonster

I have an interview next week for a Prison Nurse post..which is something of a switch from my background of A+E, Coronary Care, and Offshore Medic. Anyone out there currently working in the Prison system, or have experience of it? Just looking for some pointers for the interview, what to expect beyond the usual questions, and some areas of research to have a look at.

wl
    Free Member

Other half worked one day a week as a psychotherapist in a prison until recently. Not the same, I know. I’d be doing a bit of research into basic criminology and forensic psychology as it’ll be useful to have a very general understanding of some of these issues. I’d expect to treat things like self-harm injuries, substance misuse etc. so maybe read around those. Some mental health awareness will stand you in good stead, no doubt. This might be obvious and not much help to you, but you might be short of replies on here. Assuming you want the job, good luck! Hard work I’m sure, but also fascinating and rewarding (hopefully, at least from time to time if not more).

MrGreedy

It depends a bit on the type of prison – if it’s a training prison with sentenced prisoners then patient needs will probably be more about managing long term conditions (more like a conventional practice nurse role), whereas if it’s a remand prison with a high turnover your scope for health interventions will be much more limited and short-term. In either case, wl’s points about self-harm injuries, substance misuse and mental health are very valid.

(Not a prison nurse BTW, but have done some work with prison health in the past)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The most important thing to think about working in a prison is the security aspect, although it has been said that ‘life comes first’. If you reiterate the fact that security is paramount & that It’s ‘everyone’s responsibilty’ then you’ll be halfway there. Good luck.

Which prison. Holme House?

JoeG
    Free Member

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Something of a long shot….any Prison Nurses in STW-Land?’ is closed to new replies.