Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Someone explain long travel hardtails to me…
  • mingsta
    Free Member

I’d own a FS if I lived in a log cabin at the top of the Alpes, but I’ve yet to find a trail in the UK where I wish I still had my FS over my Ti456 (though maybe thats because I need to find some harder trails!).

I think there’s a new generation of bikers with plenty of disposable, who went straight to a full susser and are under the false understanding that if you try and ride the same stuff on a HT, YOU WILL SURELY DIE!!!!

As for LT HT’s you just need to ride a “modern” HT, with short stem, wide bars and 5″ forks versus an old skool butt in the air racer like a Klein (and I’ve owned both!) and you’ll know it makes sense!

adstick
    Free Member

I’d far rather a short travel hardtail or an FS. A longer travel forks suits the ‘squat’ of an FS, but just feels wrong on a hardtail IMO.

freeandsingle
    Free Member

Troll

nuke

Troll

No, he’s new and if your perceived to be nasty to him, the forum police will be along to tell you you’ve treated a new member appalling. 🙄 😉

furry_marmot
    Free Member

don’t get me wrong, I love hardtails. they teach you line choice and bike-handling; I love the pop, responsiveness and trail feedback. however, I totally fail to see the point in putting more than 120mm on front of a bike with no rear travel. despite what you may tell yourselves, they are unbalanced and less stable than a FS bike with matched travel. hopefully GW will be along shortly since he also has some sensible ideas on this sort of thing.

PJ266
    Free Member

Nahhhhhhh, it works and its a right giggle at the same time. Also, you can go REALLY fast on them.

Chalkyslide
    Free Member

If you can only have one mtb then a LT steel HT with adjustable fork really does do the job.

Yes there are lighter faster climbers and FS alternatives but for value for money, maintenance, feel and fun LT HT’s are imo a good all rounder.

The back end of some of the steel frames flex so much compared to more rigid aluminum frames that to some extent there is rear “suspension”.

If cost was no object then maybe I’d try out a top end FS – but for many of us that is not an option…

Olly
    Free Member

if i could have only one bike it would be a HT with pikes.

no diggedy

no doubt

emac65
    Free Member

If I could only have one bike it would have 6 wheels & 3 frames…..

the_lecht_rocks

lol – LT HT’s rock, but they just do it differently to a FS.
    however, they are better at connecting, at singletrack, but perhaps not proper rock.

et voila :

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Someone explain long travel hardtails to me…’ is closed to new replies.