• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by IA.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Solidworks Monitor
  • joepose
    Free Member

Have a £300 budget for a solidworks monitor.
    What would you caddies reccomend for that budget please?

Cheers

Speeder

1 or 2?

2 is better if your graphics card can handle it (and if you’re running SW you’ll need a decent one)

joepose
    Free Member

2 monitors?
    HAve a 2gb Nvidia quadro k2000 card.

cp

solidworks doesn’t support dual monitors very well IME, which is surprising. It is still useful to have 2 monitors though as you can have 1 for solidworks and 1 for email/datasheets etc… edit or just split SW across 2 monitors and manually resize the windows

I find 16:10 ratio better for SW in general, but they’re few a far between these days and tend to be expensive.

A couple of 16:9 Full HD would be OK, I use these at home, great monitors for 129:-

http://www.nrgit.biz/product/dell-24-inch-flat-panel-tft-monitors/dell-p2414h-24-inch-ips-monitor-pn-36wjx.html?c=130&p=817

cp

at work, I have one of these, which is lush but 50 quid over budget:-

http://www.nrgit.biz/product/dell-27-inch-flat-panel-tft-monitors/dell-ultrasharp-u2713hm-high-resolution-monitors-f.html?c=196&p=544

combined with the laptop panel.

nickjb
    Free Member

I don’t feel a need for 2 monitors. As above its handy for emails or maybe having a pdf drawing open that you are copying but not a massive benefit.

There’s some great 1080p monitors out there for a lot less than your budget but it’s a big jump in price for a few more pixels

cp

I don’t feel a need for 2 monitors. As above its handy for emails or maybe having a pdf drawing open that you are copying but not a massive benefit.

have you tried 2? Not having a dig, but I started with 2 and now our whole office is converted and wont look back.

And you can have STW open on one and work in the other 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve used 2 or 1 a fair bit. The only real use to me for 2 is to have other things open on the other monitor like drawings or websites. I’m freelance these days so if anything it would probably slow me down having the internet right there.

I find 2 wide screens a bit weird. Gives me neck ache.

I do sometimes set up 2 screens if I’m doing video work. A lot of what I do is to produce content that is displayed on a large monitor so it is handy see it for real. I’ve usually got a few monitors around so using 1 is very much a choice

stumpy01

cp – Member

have you tried 2? Not having a dig, but I started with 2 and now our whole office is converted and wont look back.

+1. Last place I worked, we had 2 monitors and the same where i am now. While you obviously can make do with one monitor, I find that two makes it a lot easier to work on. Wouldn’t be keen on going back to a single monitor.

joepose
    Free Member

general consensus sounds like 2 monitors is a good idea, i presume the second monitor can be a standrd cheaper monitor.

Speeder

I’d be more than happy with either of those monitors that CD posted but I’d reiterate the 2 is better point of view. It just means you’ve got some decent real-estate which is useful if you’re translating a PDF or working on a spreadsheet at the same time and saves having to constantly switch windows.

I’ve got 2 setups, 1 at home and the other at my client’s and they both mirror each other to save any hassle and while they’re not the biggest (only 2×22″s) or most pin sharp they do the job and SW doesn’t really require the most impressive display as it’s not like you’re ever doing hugely detailed graphics.

nickjb – Member
    I’m freelance these days so if anything it would probably slow me down having the internet right there.

+1 – STW is a massive time sink 😆

IA

It’s annoying having two different monitors though (I mean 2 ones not the same, not two are annoying compared to one).

Assuming colour accuracy isn’t a huge deal for you, you should get 2 dell 23″ 1080p panels for that money, or close.

Thing is once you have 2…..*looks at the 3 1080p screens in front of him*

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Solidworks Monitor’ is closed to new replies.