Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Softshell water proofing?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Got a lovely roadie style softshell top for Christmas, and I think I have some softshell proofer in the cupboard. Question is, how long does it last with normal washing? Do you either use fancy washing liquid or just was it less?

scotroutes

I find roadie outer layers need relatively little washing. I usually try to use soap flakes rather than detergent too. If you are having trouble finding it in your local supermarket, try Boots.

Sandwich

Any taped seams, or velcro stuck to tabs rather than stitched? Avoid conventional detergents if so as the stuck stuff comes apart. If you use Nikwax or Grainger stuff then reproof when it wets out or ceases to bead properly, otherwise use soap flakes or technical fabric wash of choice.

roady_tony
    Free Member

thought you knew all this sh*t molgrips!

molgrips washing his softshell for years…

scotroutes

Somebody knows how to hold a grudge 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Wow.

To give the comment some context – I’ve never used DWR on a softshell before, which is why I’ve washed them and never had a problem. I wonder if ‘fancy shmansy’ means it comes with DWR? If so, and if ‘destroy’ means ‘remove the DWR’ then he was probably correct 🙂

footflaps

I just wash all my soft shells at 40C with normal washing powder as I don’t really care for DWR (I’ll put a shell over it if it’s getting wet).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Gore says non bio detergent for waterproof membrane, soap clogs it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Softshell water proofing?’ is closed to new replies.