Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • So whos for a solo night ride on Cannock Chase ?
  • BigJohn

I thought this was an invitation to a STW group solo ride…

I night ride there solo quite a bit. Normally after I bale if the pace of the group ride is too hot for me.

The only 2 times I got scared was once when I came across a bunch of guys who seemed to be "disposing" of a stolen car and they appeared to come after me. So I turned off my lights and scooted off down a fireroad. That took me straight into the 2nd time – a guy seemed to be lamping for deer and so I decided I didn't want to be riding in the dark and get into his beam. So what to do? Lights on and get caught by pikeys, lights off and get shot by a poacher?

Its absolutely at its best when really dark and riding the fire roads without lights. You can just about make out the pale paths and the wild animals.

Scruff, on the other hand (yes that big ruff tuff Scruff) gets the fear and imagines the panther is trotting behind him when he goes on his own in the dark.

kinda666
    Free Member

I thought this was an invitation to a STW group solo ride..

Me too! 😆

iDave
    Free Member

I only fear BigJohn when I ride solo there

iDave
    Free Member

a solo group ride would take some organising….

tazzymtb

have done for years, solo and with a few other nutters. Seen..lots of cars with steamy windows, no werewolves, been scared silly by a deer leaping out in front of me, seen someone crash into a grumpy badger..it was **** furious by the time he'd hit it and…..

had one incident where we got yellow "eye shine" from something (not sure what) with forward facing eyes (predator, not a dear or other veggie type animal), that pissed off at high speed down a steep bank near Brocton coppice. i've never ridden up a hill on a singlepseed so fast in my life!

there's some evidence to suggest that there is a big cat on the chase, pug marks, sightings by police etc but there are enough bunnies, deer and other small fluffy things to keep em well fed

JUST MAKE SURE YOU'RE NOT THE SLOWEST ONE ON THE TRAILS, in all nature documentaries it's always the slowest one at the back that gets munched!!

kinda666
    Free Member

The very reason I don't ride solo!

tazzymtb

If anyone has seen dog soldiers there are lots of bits of the chase that look like the gun fight with the werewolves at dusk.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Stags in rutting season, at night can be very scary.. the noises they make at this time play havoc with the imagination.. especially when you ride at the back of a group that is strung out…

clunker

Went solo the other week the only thing that freaked me was an owl 😳

Rabbits also seem very keen on my front wheel.

snakebite
    Free Member

If i'm solo, the ipod's on….

takisawa2

Done plenty of Solo-Night rides on the Chase.
    Off up there tomorrow night hopefully.

scruff
    Free Member

I literally rode into a big rutting ruck of stags- clashing antlers all around, effing sheet mesen. I was paranoid for a while after that but figured if I can brave walking through Cannock on my own at night theres little over the Chase that can harm me. I've seen some bizarre sightsup there- naked Druids, man walking with carpet and spade, a couple p155ign on each other, possible panther, black rabbits, tokers/pokers/strokers but never a werewolf.

wwaswas

There was a newt crossing the trail by a gate on the SDW @ Ditchling Beacon last night during my solo night ride.

I managed to stay calm and it won't stop me going that way again.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I too was hoping this was some group ride. And I'm up there on Thursday night for my first night ride on the chase.

I really wish I hadn't googled big cat Cannock chase because it is quite believable. I get spooked in Sutton Park on my own when I let my imagination get carried away so I better keep up on the chase!

Oh and if anybody does want to organise a group night on the chase I'm well up for it.

scruff
    Free Member

AndyM,
    its like Picadilly Circus on Thursday nights-

http://www.bikeadventuresuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8116

I_Ache
    Free Member

Its our regular ride night and 6:30 would be too early for me anyway. We don't get out before 8 and it will probably be later with having to drive to the chase.

BigJohn

Like Picadilly Circus in more ways than one.

scruff
    Free Member

Full of Iranians and stinks of pi55?

snakebite
    Free Member

dog shit on every corner?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘So whos for a solo night ride on Cannock Chase ?’ is closed to new replies.