Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • So, what's harder on the human body / soul
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

After a rather heated discussion and a party I’ve just been to. What s harder on the human body, top level / elite 24h MTB racing or top level / elite ironman.

My reckoning is, as you’re racing for 24 hrs and the splits between podium and not often come down to monkies if not seconds that a top level 24hr MTB racer will exert more energy and take longer to recover than a top level iron man. My counterfoils argument is that MTB is easier than iron due to the fact you get to freewheel down hill. Discuss

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Doing something for 24 hours is definitely harder than doing it for however long it takes to complete an ironman

richpips
    Free Member

They’re different sports. There have been people who have majored in both who’ve made the crossover and done well.

For the non elite I’d say riding a bike for 24 hours is much easier.

pictonroad

splits between podium and not often come down to monkies

Doesn’t sound fair tbh.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Have you ever run a marathon? The thought of running one after a long, frantic swim then riding over a century fills me with more pain and dread than the thought of being in a bike race for a day.

Don’t underestimate how difficult changing disciplines in a race is.

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends how good you are. I work with a guy who does Ironmans like you or I would do a trail centre weekend. No bother at all.

JCL
    Free Member

Triprongs have massive skills though.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pJx-f_uuRrw[/video]

edhornby

the physical exertion is dependant on who you are racing against surely

24hr MTB racing doesn’t have a world record for furthest unlike Ironman where there is a total time record so you can’t compare in that respect

Ironman doesn’t have the sleep deprivation factor, this is the biggest difference – both are hardcore nevertheless

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Ironman. Am considering both and am much less concerned about the 24 as you can just take a break/get some proper food on board and manage your pace.Running the marathon is the bit that scares me about the ironman

molgrips
    Free Member

I asked my Iron Colleague if he fancied 24h MTB and he said no, it’d be too hard and not interesting enough.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Both the same. Your still going too your limits.

njee20
    Free Member

Ironman. Am considering both and am much less concerned about the 24 as you can just take a break/get some proper food on board and manage your pace.Running the marathon is the bit that scares me about the ironman

But you’re not looking to win. Moot point.

Agree that for an average chipper a 24 is easier, elite level I don’t think they’re comparable. A 24 will take a greater toll on the body, but that doesn’t necessarily make it ‘harder’ per se.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve done both (though nowhere near where the OP is touting level wise) IMO Ironman is harder. Apples and pears though and hard to compare.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘So, what's harder on the human body / soul’ is closed to new replies.