Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • So – what is the benefit of a Pro 2 Evo hub over a Pro 2?
  • tmb467
    Free Member

Building up new wheels and pro 2 are significantly cheaper than the Evo ones

Is it just the bearings that differ?

Deveron53
    Free Member

It only affects the rear hub significantly. The Pro 2 EVO rear hub has a thicker axle to prevent breakages when using 12mm thru-axle.

tmb467
    Free Member

So for QR, there’s no real benefit?

EDIT: that warrants the increased cost

Superficial
    Free Member

The Evo was intended as a replacement – I.e. they’re of the same ‘quality’ (and RRP I think), just one is slightly newer. I don’t think Hope make any standard Pro IIs any more, it’s only if you can find old stock somewhere. You can’t use 142×12 with old Pro 2s (without buying new bits).

Downsides to standard Pro 2s: Not as compatible, might not be worth as much to sell on. But if you’re planning on keeping them forever and only ever using QR, then they’ll be just dandy.

tmb467
    Free Member

Cheers

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you’re not going bolt thru, the original Pro II is slightly better.

It has more room for the bearings so in theory, they should last a little longer. Not any real world difference though.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Pro 2 Evo now comes from the factory with 40t engagement, though there are probably plenty with the older 24t engagement still sitting on shelves.

tmb467
    Free Member

Sounds like best plan is to get a cheap pro 2 front and then buy a new pro2 Evo rear

Cheers

Superficial
    Free Member

Not sure I would want non-matching hubs. But maybe I’m a tart.

How much are you going to save on buying an old non-matching front hub though?

cp

Wow!

Rear hub axle adaptors are much simpler & cheaper on an evo, i.e. when going to Syntace X12, you just need end caps, and not the whole axle.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Superficial – Member
    Not sure I would want non-matching hubs.

apt username 😛

tmb467
    Free Member

How much are you going to save on buying an old non-matching front hub though?

When they’re covered in mud no-one could tell the difference. I’d hoped to save about 20 quid but turns out the ones I’d been looking at were 9mm QR but I need 20 mm thru axle.

Still undecided on whether to buy s/h or build new

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Adapting the hub to dufferent axles is far easier. You just change the end caps, , therefore don’t have to dismantle the whole thing.

Superficial
    Free Member

apt username

Ha, perhaps. To clarify: If you’re spending £300 on new wheels, I just don’t see the point in saving £5-10 by going for a non-matching hub. Of course I’d have non-matching hubs if they were significantly cheaper or if I was building from the classifieds etc.

Northwind

IIRC the Evo freehub has one custom bearing that you can only source from Hope- not the end of the world as Hope bearings are decent and not insanely expensive, but given the short lifespan of Pro 2 bearings it’s not ideal.

I had to switch to Evos as I got fed up snapping axles. (Hope amusingly sent me 2 replacements the last time I did it, “Here’s an extra for next time”, talk about knowing your product is shit but selling it anyway… But I digress) I’d have no qualms getting a standard Pro 2.

Superficial – Member

You’d have a nervous breakdown if you came out with us – I have different hubs AND rims.

My mate has different brakes – Avid and Shimano

tmb467
    Free Member

+1

Shimano and formula hubs

Dt Swiss and Sun rims

Hope brakes tho – but was hope and hayes at one point

Superficial
    Free Member

IIRC the Evo freehub has one custom bearing that you can only source from Hope

Nope. The size is listed on the Hope website on one of their exploded diagrams and I found the bearing from several standard bearing merchants / ebay.

Ended up buying from these guys IIRC http://mbbearings.co.uk/catalog/

Northwind

Ah, cool, cheers for that! Good news.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘So – what is the benefit of a Pro 2 Evo hub over a Pro 2?’ is closed to new replies.