Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • So today I want on a little road trip…
  • Cougar

… can you guess where?

the-muffin-man

Massage parlour?

RustySpanner

Welsh Highland Railway?

One track and dirty, like the muffin man’s mind.
    🙂

thejesmonddingo

Tod?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

As above, looks like “Stickybeavers”??

Drac

Did you feed the hamster?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Chipp shop?

funkmasterp

Vegas?

Cougar

Chipp shop?

I went to both the Chipp shop and the chip shop, actually.

It’s not clear from that image, but the caption underneath reads “the world’s largest clique,” which I thought summed up STW quite well.

thejesmonddingo

You didn’t go on to Tod then? Stubbin Wharf is almost there.

Cougar

I went to Tod in so far as that’s where they are, yes. Didn’t really explore much beyond a wander down the high street at lunchtime.

I don’t live a million miles away; it’s like a 40 minute drive if you don’t get stuck behind someone with foam rubber feet.

Cougar

It was an interesting day.

I learned a lot more about how the site works, about how it’s funded, how the advert networks work (and why we occasionally get rogue adverts), and about the statistics around how it’s used and by just how many people. The same old “big hitter” names are prolific posters sure, but the sheer volume of people who view and interact with it but don’t really post (or don’t even have accounts) is just mind-bending. It was eye-opening stuff. I also sat and showed them how we worked as moderators, obviously they know what tools we use but perhaps surprisingly not how. (TL;DR – we’re sneaky bastards.)

One thing I came away with is why the site is the way it is, and why development might seem a little… pedestrian to an outside observer. It’s economies of scale and the smallest of innocuous-seeming changes can have butterfly-effect “well, we might have to let someone go” levels of repercussions. To anyone thinking “it’s just a simple forum, I could spin up a better replacement in my lunch hour” (eg, me 24 hours ago) you have absolutely no idea. It’s a monster.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘So today I want on a little road trip…’ is closed to new replies.