Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 140 total)
  • So, Scottish Independence then. Not really wanted by Scots.
  • TooTall
    Free Member

Shock news that TJ is a vocal minority 😀

I’m awaiting someone with a Google-based expert view of why the survey data was flawed!

YouGov Poll

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

IIRC TJ isn’t even bloody Scottish!

MSP

An opinion pole, commissioned by the pro-UK group, and voted on by 1000 people, who are probably the campaigners for that group.

Shouldn’t be an article, no journalist worth his salt would actually try and make a story out of that unless they are pushing an agenda.

kcal

well, I took part in the survey (IIRC) – so, ergo, flawed already..

oh, and MSP, I *think* that the survey may have been commissioned by Darling (just Darling – doubt it) but the respondents aren’t told who has commissioned it, and are not (as far as I know) selected on that basis.

So I’m afraid sounds “well then, what do you expect” but reasonably well-run I would say.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Nope. He is a blue paint face paint wearing Englishman if memory serves me correct.

(Well, the Englishman bit.)

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Are you?

GrahamS

Nothing new. Has always been the case that the majority of Scots are against full independence.

But the proportion that do want independence is growing and the SNP have done well enough in other aspects of Scottish politics that people like me are prepared to at least listen to what Salmon and Sturgeon have to say.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s been a while since we had a Scottish independence thread. Well done for remembering how much fun they are.

Is Jezza on a ban or something? He’s being very quiet.

TooTall
    Free Member

I’m sure I can hear the noise of teeth grinding from somewhere North of here. 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

“Scottish”. Erm, remind me again……? 🙂

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I hail from Scotland and even live there (unlike some very famous tax dodging Independanistas) and don’t know anyone whose opinion I regard as “sensible” or “balanced” who is in favour of it. Devolved local powers to decide on roads, Healthcare and education make sense, but then Defence, national security and fiscal policy..not sure about that.

Kit
    Free Member

Is Jezza on a ban or something? He’s being very quiet.

I believe he is in gainful employment, something unlikely to happen under independence 😉

mogrim

Nope. He is a blue paint face paint wearing Englishman if memory serves me correct.

Well, he went to school in Scotland, and he’s now somewhere around 50… I think it’s time we (the English members of STW) accepted that he’s gone to us, and sadly move on. He’s all yours, Scotland!

Where is he, anyway? Banned for excessive arguing again?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

the SNP have done well enough in other aspects of Scottish politics that people like me are prepared to at least listen to what Salmon and Sturgeon have to say.

To be fair, the other parties have been very supportive of Salmond. Johann Lamont can’t even open her mouth without talking about him, the Tories have put some nice wee lassie in charge and the Yellow Branch of the Tories have some charisma free civil servant in charge. When any of them are asked what their policies are you can almost hear the papers rustling as they look up Big Eck’s response to a the same question and repeat but just sticking “Not..” in front. If Salmond wanted the other parties to campaign for independence, all he’d have to do is start campaigning to keep the union. as long as they let themselves be defined by the SNP, there will never be a credible opposition and independence might just happen because there’s no one with a serous defence against it.

yossarian
    Free Member

I hail from Scotland and even live there (unlike some very famous tax dodging Independanistas) and don’t know anyone whose opinion I regard as “sensible” or “balanced” who is in favour of it. Devolved local powers to decide on roads, Healthcare and education make sense, but then Defence, national security and fiscal policy..not sure about that.

fair enough but WHY? If I was Scottish, and if I disliked the English as intensely as most of the Scots I’ve met seem to, I’d definitely want independence, regardless of any problems it might cause in the short and medium term.

Actually, regardless of the english thing, I’d want to be independent.

Garry_Lager

Never heard anyone credibly claim that there was a majority in favour of independence (on that side of the border) tbh – think it’s pretty much accepted that the SNP would have some hard yards ahead in getting a pro-independence vote out of any referendum.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I think it’s time we (the English members of STW) accepted that he’s gone to us, and sadly move on….

Well my dirty little secret is that, as vocal as used to be on threads discussing to English/Scottish matters is that…………I’m not technically English either.

binners

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Last poll I saw had a 1% lead for independence, but that was around the last spate of Scottish independence threads on here. There seems to be a steady 1/3 of Scots who are pro, maybe 1/4 who are against and the rest are floating. It will be very interesting to see how the pro uk parties handle the debate, if its the same way they usually do yes support will keep growing imo.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its ok you can have him back 😉

and don’t know anyone whose opinion I regard as “sensible” or “balanced” who is in favour of it.

WOW only people who agree with you are sensible and balanced..i think i have found TJ’s secret log on account.

Not news so lets wait for the big day when everyoine says what they think rather than 1000 from i assume 3 illion plus voters

BoardinBob

It would be funnier if they’d actually managed to spell Irn-Bru correctly

richmtb

Ask yourself this if a pair of self serving bastards like Cameron and Osborne think Scottish Independance is a bad thing what’s in it for them?

peterfile
    Free Member

if I disliked the English as intensely as most of the Scots I’ve met seem to,

Noone in scotland dislikes the English, they dislike cockney wide boys, as do 90% of English people too.

Unfortuantely, most of the coverage of “English people” in the Scottish media is of loud, England football shirt wearing, drunk southerers shouting “engerrrland” and “oi oi” whilst beating up families in foreign countries. Not exactly representative of England though.

(A Scotsman who just moved back to the homeland after living in England for the last 8 years).

Dolcered

Support for independence has always hovered around the 50% mark.

I think the SNP gains up here have less to do with this particular vote and more to do with not wanting labour or tories at the helm.

duckman

Why is is the English who start these threads; are you feeling unloved? It is going to be lot closer than many think; and unlike any claims to the contrary it is not going to end the indy Q for ever.

zokes
    Free Member

Why is is the English who start these threads; are you feeling unloved? It is going to be lot closer than many think; and unlike any claims to the contrary it is not going to end the indy Q for ever.

Because we’d quite like you to bugger off?

cudubh

Don’t know why I read these threads as they just upset me.

There are some Scots who do dislike all English people but that is a small minority. The desire for independence should be separated from anti-English sentiment. I am pro-independence and my wife is anti, but she is English. Would those of the hard of understanding like to reconcile my support of independence and in some people’s view anti-English feeling with the fact that I married an English woman? We are able to debate our different views in a civilised manner without recourse to silly name calling. She understands that my view is that self determination for Scotland is something that I support as being in the best interests of my country. She feels that it is in Scotland’s best interests to remain part of the UK. We will vote differently come the referendum.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Support for independence has always hovered around the 50% mark

..except for about 10 seconds after kick off in any world cup game featuring Ingerlund when “it’s just like 1966 all over again”

bigjim

I believe he is in gainful employment, something unlikely to happen under independence

😀

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

think it’s pretty much accepted that the SNP would have some hard yards ahead in getting a pro-independence vote out of any referendum.

by who? People in England who find it difficult to believe that anybody would fancy a future without them?

zokes
    Free Member

by who? People in England who find it difficult to believe that anybody would fancy a future without them?

Na. Most of us would be quite happy to see you go. Slightly ironic that the independence movement would be much more successful if the English were allowed a vote

duckman

But Zokes; then you would have nobody to accuse of racism…then explain WHY we should be grateful to England. All typed from the country you have chosen to live in…You are brilliant value on the rugby threads, good to see you continue that here.

yossarian
    Free Member

Noone in scotland dislikes the English, they dislike cockney wide boys, as do 90% of English people too.

not my experience at all I’m afraid to say. Been to Aberdeen more times than I care to mention and every time there’s been genuine hostility based on my english accent – i’m not a cockney btw. My wife lived in Scotland for most of her teenage years and was repeatedly beaten up at school for being english, well until she hospitalised a couple of them after getting rather good at aikido. 😉

Anyways, whatever. If I was scottish I’d want it, and if I was asked to vote on it I’d vote yes.

zokes
    Free Member

But Zokes; then you would have nobody to accuse of racism…then explain WHY we should be grateful to England. All typed from the country you have chosen to live in…You are brilliant value on the rugby threads, good to see you continue that here.

And neither would you be able to blame the English for everything…

Getting cold feet, are we?

chewkw
    Free Member

Go have your independence … join EURO to feed the Greeks, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese etc or be like them to wait for handouts and with mouth wide open waiting to be fed.

Salmond please make yourself the King of Scotland and yes you may put the people to hard labour after all they are lazy aren’t they …

😆

RustySpanner

Never experiencd anti English/British sentiment in Scotland – some good natured piss taking and some interesting debates about independance, but nothing serious.

And no, as an Englishman I don’t want an independant Scotland – we need all the anti Tory voters we can get.

wrecker
    Free Member

Na. Most of us would be quite happy to see you go.

Most of us aren’t that bothered.
    I’d certainly vote for english independence.

youngrob

As GrahamS says above, the SNP are doing a good job so people are prepared to listen to Alex Salmond. I’m Scottish, living in Scotland and have voted SNP but have doubts about the non devolved areas – defence, finance etc. I hear the arguments about oil, whiskey and our regiment but I haven’t heard enough to persuade me yet. If we are allowed to have the oil revenue, it will only last another 50 years or so. What happens then? This is a permanent decision and I’m not convinced the SNP are thinking that far ahead.

zokes
    Free Member

If we are allowed to have the oil revenue, it will only last another 50 years or so. What happens then? This is a permanent decision and I’m not convinced the SNP are thinking that far ahead.

TJ has all the answers to this 🙄

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

And neither would you be able to blame the English for everything…

Getting cold feet, are we?

Who’s getting cold feet? Ahh yes, another Little Englander with a Big Chip desperately trying to hold on to the long gone belief that England is better.
    How’re the droughts and hosepipe bans going by the way?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘So, Scottish Independence then. Not really wanted by Scots.’ is closed to new replies.