• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Marge.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • So, running then…
  • Kryton57

Inspired a bit by Ropey Reign Riders post, seeing as I’ve been banned by a physio from holding ‘bars until my next race on the 13th (shoulder issues), I’d like to keep fit / the lbs off during this enforced taper.

The local park with smooth wide pathway marked out to 1250m around is at the end of my road – would it be a good idea to run a few k’s every other day e.g. complimentary to my biking?

thecaptain
    Free Member

In a word yes. But I suggest you take it very easy to start with, much more so than you think. Maybe something like a couch to 5k program. This will feel ridiculous but it’s well worth spending a week or two getting your legs used to the different exercise.

Cougar

What he said.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

In a word yes. But I suggest you take it very easy to start with, much more so than you think. Maybe something like a couch to 5k program. This will feel ridiculous but it’s well worth spending a week or two getting your legs used to the different exercise.

Wise words

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

13th of December? No, definitely not.

If you are half fit you will go faster than your legs can, and then be in a world of pain after. If you have never really run before your legs will take weeks to adjust and therefore will hinder your cycling ability.

Turbo would be my preferred

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends how robust you are and how well you listen to your body. You could just go by feel, but c25k is as good as anything if you want a plan to follow .

scotroutes

I know this is very irresponsible of me but ….. when I started running I just put on a pair of trainers and started doing 3k circuits every 2-3 days. Within a couple of weeks I was doing 5k and a few later I was doing 10k.

No build up, no “program”, just went out and ran. I never encountered any problems with knees, feet, hips etc.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No build up, no “program”, just went out and ran.

scotroutes

and ran

and ran

and ran

bikebouy
    Free Member

Can’t you trail run instead? IMO far better than pavement plundering..

Kryton57

I have run before, I used to run twice a week 5ks at about 21 mins. And although I don’t do it generally I do have properly fitted running shoes and Nike gear. I also knock out an annual 10k (50 mins) for charity without any prep.

I just thought I could safely knock out 1/2hr before breakfast / in my wfh lunch hour to knock off some cals.

wilburt
    Free Member

First time you run will likely result in some serious doms, but its a sharp curve to being comfortable up to 5k. Personally I get bored pretty quickly when going for 10k or above so stick at faster 5k’s.

As a result the less than 30 mins exercise is not great for weight loss.

edit: you know all the above then.

Kryton57

Well, no I don’t, which is why I asked. It’s been 10 years since I did those 5’s, and they were social after work office workers I never got into it enough to know anything about the sport.

I know about the doms though, but not enough to know if 30-45 mins run 3 times a week is beneficial to my cycling fitness – at least staying on par – rather than surfing the sofa for the next 10 days.

molgrips
    Free Member

I just thought I could safely knock out 1/2hr before breakfast / in my wfh lunch hour to knock off some cals

Given what you said, go for it. Just walk if something starts to hurt (obvs)

Re cycling, fwiw I found 200m sprint intervals on foot hugely beneficial to my cycling.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Just run, gallop, frolic. Find your inner dog and try different speeds. Have fun and bite the bums off bee’s.

It’s what we have legs for.

mattyfez

Surely swimming would be better?

Kryton57

I can’t swim.

Caher

Spinning class? Then a walk/run increasing the tempo.

Kryton57

It’s a complicated story, but I mustnt hold on to things, handle bars or brace my torso.

wrecker
    Free Member

Had similar thoughts, but running in boots for years has made it clear that it’s quite destructive, particularly when I’m pretty heavy at present(!)
    Still, I think being able to put 5 miles down is a basic human requirement so I’ll do a bit.

antigee

or brace my torso

you’ve probably forgotten how much upper body is involved in running?

what about those bikes at the gym that fat people sit back on and read mags/chat to their mates on?

beefheart
    Free Member

Absolutely.
    I used to run 5 miles per day, until 8 months ago when I had ankle ligament damage.
    Yesterday I ran again for the first time in 8 months!
    And I felt great. If that’s all you can do, do it.
    It’s also a good way to get out and about in the elements without having to get your nice bike gear mudded up in the filthy British weather.

isitafox
    Free Member

Get Zombies, Run! 5k on your phone and get cracking!

Marge
    Free Member

Try it?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘So, running then…’ is closed to new replies.