Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • So my rp23 is squelching…
  • Kryton57

… but working fine. T’internet says some people find they gone on for ages like that, others get it serviced.

Whats best?

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

The sqelching is caused by the nitrogen charge leaking past a seal into the damping oil. Happened every 4-6 months whatever I tried on my old Float R’s and was one of the main reasons I binned full sus. Its not a DIY job and will cost about £75 as part of a service at TF or mojo.

Or you could just ride it. It will not do any damage.

Kryton57

OK. I’ve had one done before (not this one) and the techs at Tft explained that they replace the oem fox seals with a much stronger set as part of the service. Might be the right thing before I go to Wales in a month / summer arrives.

Calling Loco are you about – do you do the same with the seals?

Kryton57

Bump? Anymore experience / advice?

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes all seals are replaced in the damper as part of the Full service which is a strip, clean, optimization of all parts along with replacement of all seals gas and oil along with Polymer Du eyelet bushes.
    Farmers Choice is a little optimistic on the ‘others’ prices 😉

You cn get squelching from the shock in the first bit of the travel as the float fluid in the air can is transfered between the positive and negative air chambers in the air can.
    It can also be nitrogen in the oil, if the shock has not been service in the last 12 to 18 months it’s more likely to be cavitation. In the worse cases of this the damping will become more effected the hotter the shock gets through use giving inconsistent damping.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Mine did too. Turned out I had a crack in the shock body.

LoCo
    Free Member

mikertroid, was that the one that was leaking air from the ‘invisible’ crack in the eyelet adjuster, due to a production defect? There’s been one or two of those.

Kryton57

LoCo – Member
    … if the shock has not been service in the last 12 to 18 months it’s more likely to be cavitation. In the worse cases of this the damping will become more effected the hotter the shock gets through use giving inconsistent damping.

Thats interesting Loco – during a 3hr ride yesterday and despite having my pressures & rebound at “normal” I noticed I only got 3/4 of the travel and remember thinking my rebound was a bit too light (too springy).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘So my rp23 is squelching…’ is closed to new replies.