Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • So if Lance loses his TDF wins , who gets them?
  • slowuphill
    Free Member

Ulrich came second to Lance in 3 tours , now he was clean wasn’t he? Cant they just leave it be and put a note by the wins saying something like “dope year”….

ahwiles
    Free Member

well, i was riding bikes back then, and hardly doing any drugs at all – the uci will probably be on the phone soon to notify me of my retrospective victories…

Northwind

Only option would be to declare those years void tbh. You can’t take a win away from an alleged drugs cheat and give it to someone else you don’t know isn’t also a drugs cheat. And once you get out of the top riders- and you would- you get down to team riders who weren’t riding for the win, so inevitably becomes unfair.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Or just put an asterix or srtrikethrough on the results indicating ‘won by other means’

ampthill

I thought that they could only take 2 out of the 7 wins. The rest are outside the 8 years rule…

mudshark
    Free Member

USADA said they’ll take all victories since late ’98 from him, my guess is UCI will put an asterisk next to him as the winner of all his tours- same as with Riis in ’96.

Northwind

ampthill – Member

I thought that they could only take 2 out of the 7 wins. The rest are outside the 8 years rule…

That seems to be one of the places it gets messy- they have their 8 year statute of limitations, but when pursuing a case against the most recent wins they’d use evidence from outwith the 8 year period, which could end up proving a case of doping from before the 8 years.

Also, they could choose to interpret it as a single offence rather than “doped in 2000, doped in 2001…” it’d be “Doped from year x to y”, which would fall within the 8 year period.

All a bit messy tbh but you can count on USADA to choose the fairest and most correct definition that suits them.

igm

I think it would make this year Wiggo’s second victory if we start retrospectively zapping the records.

And does Robert Millar get a TdF victory?

stevomcd
    Free Member

igm – Andy Schleck in ’09 surely? I know his brother had a positive result this year but I thought Andy was still clean?

They’ve already given him 2010…

Mugboo

There is no fair way of sorting it out fairly. Unless they do a thread to needle job on the riders who would be the potential benefactors of this decision.

igm

Stevomcd – just devilment on my part

Seriously though, it would make 2009 Britain’s best GC year at the tour thus far (at the time) as Wiggo’s would go second.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think they should both strip him of it officially and just put an asterix by his result and leave it at that

He cannot be a convicted drug cheat and keep them but it could go on for ever trying to find a clean one from that period.

ozzybmx
    Free Member

They are just trying to make an example and stamp out all drug cheating. Its a sad situation where they are making such a big deal that every sporting event for years to come will have that doubt of a drug assisted winner.

They have got their teeth into something and not letting go…. maybe some truth there but im about as over it as LA himself.

honourablegeorge

I’ve already been awarded sleeping with Sheryl Crow as I was next in line there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    JohnClimber
    Free Member

Nice of the French not even to update their website to say that Wiggo won this year, let alone to say that lance has lost his 7

http://www.letour.fr/2012/TDF/HISTO/us/palmares.html

stevomcd
    Free Member

JohnClimber – they haven’t even stripped Contador of his yet!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘So if Lance loses his TDF wins , who gets them?’ is closed to new replies.