Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • So I built a thing – Completed frame content
  • maximusmountain
    Free Member

Firstly I would like to thank ben cooper for coming to the rescue on any threads that I’ve put up and to the other members of the forum that have helped as well, not least the designed and maker (cant find the thread, sorry!) of the blue steel 29er with super short chain stays (and custom cut drop outs).

Its a straight 44 head tube (Reynolds 631) with a DZB down tube, big ol top tube and 31.6mm post, the front triangle is made from Reynolds 853. Rear triangle consist of a standard BB, 142×12 rear drop outs (mech hanger not pictured) and Columbus Zona 29er specific stays (prebent, thankfully!). The brass was Sif 101 with cycle design flux, standard torch used with a number 3 nozzle. The paint is a 2 part clear lacquer.
    There are a few issues, the stays pulled in by 5mm, but thats fine as they stretch over the wheel well. The centre line of the rear axle is 0.6mm within the centre line of the BB, the head tube is within 0.1deg of the perpendicular to the BB and the top tube is within 1.4mm over its entire length.

Total weight of 2.5kg – less than the 3kg I had planned for.

Blog spam is found here
    What started it all
    The jig that I made for it
    General checks
    [url=http://maxengineeringdesign.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/homebrew-29er-progress.html]Checking the jig measurements[/url]
    Completed frame

A full build album here with most of the details but it is 111 images long!

edit: Any and all comments welcomed, I already know the finish isn’t to some peoples taste!

letmetalktomark

Liking the use of a rotor 8)

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Mark, I stole that idea from chickens frame emporium, I am not an original person!

momo

Wow, I am seriously impressed! I hope you enjoy riding it now 🙂

jameso

‘Hat off’

Looks great. Like the ‘honesty’ finish that shows off what went well and the rougher round the edges bits equally. Class.

ton

fantastic that mate…well done.
    finish is ace…..I hate logo’s and bling stuff.

letmetalktomark

Ah I see 8)

Cracking project – just been looking at you links.

Are you temped to clean up the braze?

maximusmountain
    Free Member

ton – It will be getting the 853 decal and a head tube decal, but both will be pretty small in comparison to the decals that usually go on a bike!

mark – I was tempted yes, but kept taking too much off then having to add more, not as easy as it first sounded or looked!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice that. Imagine the first jump off a drop off will be a buttock clenching moment 🙂

llatsni
    Free Member

Stunning attention to detail and a brilliant looking frame. Any idea on rough cost overall?

jameso

the designed and maker (cant find the thread, sorry!) of the blue steel 29er with super short chain stays

That’ll be MickR, also of the brilliant stroller bike project.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

llatsni – Frame costs £490 in materials. The jig cost a further £150 but is adjustable so can use it for other projects of sell it if I need to! Obviously these aren’t including time else the prices would be quite a bit higher!

MussEd
    Free Member

Like!

dmorts

Nice!

Now build it, ride it, crack it/snap it, fix it, ride it etc.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Appears (as has been pointed out elsewhere) that I have used brass on the rotor bracing instead of using silversolder, forgot they were stainless rotors! Oops. Not worried about the brake brace holding as there is plenty of brass to hold it in place and it did take well to the rotor so it may split off but not a major concern in my eyes. The seat stay brace may come off but thats not a huge cocern either, cotic solaris doesnt!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Good effort fella!

shandcycles
    Free Member

silver or brass for those bottle bosses?

crapjumper
    Free Member

That sir is effing lovely

mick_r

Hello – glad to be of assistance – but not sure what I did! 🙂

Very very good for a first effort – when do we see it as a bike? The stainless bits of disc with 101 won’t be a problem.

Waving a bit of heat on the outside of each stay might open out the rear dropouts but probably not worth the effort – just ride the thing and start thinking about the next build…..

Just out on the 29er tonight – even after 2 years of riding it I still occasionally check the head tube after big descents!

Almost finished youngest lad’s new mtb – a tiny 26er. His off road riding has really come on in the last 6 months so he can’t wait for some suspension forks and the bigger wheels. We had a rather hazzardous roll round the streets with no brakes and I got more hugs and thank-yous than I’ve ever had for something we’ve bought him. Cable guides tomorrow night, proper test ride and then off for powder coat on Monday. I’ll start a new thread when it is ready. He even helped with a few bits…..

bencooper
    Free Member

Looks good – glad I might have said something helpful for a change 😉

I braze stainless all the time – as long as it wets onto the steel it’s absolutely fine. If it I was me I’d just put the frame on the floor, stand on one dropout, and yank the other one up until it’s bent out by 5mm. You can bend steel about a lot, just show it who’s boss.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Shand – Forgot to say thanks for you for giving me some advice on brasing earlier in the year after I asked! Those bosses are using silver as are the cable bosses.

Mick – Thanks, ASAP I hope, just getting the last bits in, shouldnt be long at all now… Going to be mental.

Ben – It stretches over the wheel lovely so ill leave it at that I think! Also thanks 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘So I built a thing – Completed frame content’ is closed to new replies.