Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • So far off topic it's in the next curtain of the multiverse – manual handling q.
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

We have a manual handling exam later in the week and one particular manoeuvre is raising a few eyebrows.

This manoeuvre involves sliding a patient up a bed using a sliding sheet and two people. They taught us to sit the punter up first then slide them up the bed before lying them back down again. To us this is both unnecessarily complicated and potentially unsafe.

The lecturer that taught us it does not inspire confidence.

Any suggestions?

geoffj

Depends who will be marking the exam. Could it be a trick/test manoeuvre?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Lube?

TheBrick
    Free Member

don’t have a clue about heath care but the HSE website is good for all of these sorts of things (working at heights, working with XYZ …)

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/manlinde.htm

TheBrick
    Free Member

Manual handling Part 2 – Repositioning a supine patient using a slide sheet

http://www.nursingtimes.net/manual-handling-part-2-repositioning-a-supine-patient-using-a-slide-sheet/1963080.article

of use?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Yes thanks, that’s the method we came up with and is the one I am intending to use and argue my case about. Anyone ever seen the other technique?

druidh
    Free Member

Mrs Druidh is a RGN/RMN, now a social worker doing re-habilitation in the community and has just had a manual handling course. She says that there is no need to sit the patient up (in fact it makes it harder)).

Dudie
    Free Member

and one particular manoeuvre is raising a few eyebrows.

Teehee, that made me giggle. You’d presumably need some sort of eyebrow hoist?

uplink
    Free Member

one particular manoeuvre is raising a few eyebrows.

more than 2?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have never seen anyone sat up then slid – we normally just slide them lying flat.

Sitting them up and then sliding is two handling manoeuvres when only one is needed

The other thing to do is to tip the bed head down – so you are sliding them downhill. Also if the person can do it themselves with guidance then thats how you do it.
    What yo have been told seems very odd to me and not something I have ever been taught.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Just tell the lazy ass patient to move and tell em it’s part of the therapy.

Woody
    Free Member

put on a plastic apron when rolling patients to insert a slide sheet; gloves only need to be worn if staff will be coming into contact with blood or bodily fluids.

I hate it when people who probably haven’t been on a ward for years (if ever) write this crap 👿

As TJ says, why would you sit them up? It makes no sense,as you will have to perform at least 2 extra manoeuvres and you are guessing how far to move the patient up the bed before you lie them down again

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘So far off topic it's in the next curtain of the multiverse – manual handling q.’ is closed to new replies.