Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • So, Brodie Ti Holeshot owners – Talk to me
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Subject to viewing I may be the owner of a very lovely looking Brodie Ti Holeshot frame. Having trawled the forum I’ve found a couple of threads regarding bike builds but nothing on how they ride.

So what are current owners opinions on how their bikes ride? What sort of riding (and where) do you usually ride? Distance, terrain, etc.

The independent review on the Progressive Bikes website indicates a harsh rear end and lots of trail feedback through the seatpost/seat.

I suppose my concern is that apart from an extended Peaks ride on a Cotic Soul last weekend I’ve not ridden a hardtail since ’05. And that was a ’98 Rockhopper!

On the one hand I’m seriously excited about a new bike, on the other slightly concerned about a blind purchase.

I’ll be swapping the parts directly from an ’07 Five for the build:

Fox Float 140 RLC QR15
    Hope ProII / Stans Flow
    Hope Tech X2 brakes / 183mm floating rotors
    Thomson 70mm stem / Sunline V1 711mm bars
    SRAM X9 / XT / Race Face drive train

Would need to buy new seatpost, seat collar and seat.

Owners feedback would be appreciated 🙂

boxfish
    Free Member

I’ve had a 16″ Holeshot Ti for 5 months. The rear end is stiff, but running UST tyres at a moderately low pressure removes some of the harshness. I’ve not ridden it for longer than around 4.5 hours, though I don’t foresee any issues with all day outings. It usually does woody singletrack with rocky/rooty descents, and the occasional trail centre. My rides are typically 20-30 miles.

I went from a 2007 Cotic Soda with Fox F120 forks to the Holeshot with DT Swiss XMM140 forks, so stiffer at both ends. The Soda was a lot more compliant but I’ve not felt any more beaten up riding the Holeshot.

However, this may be slightly different for you if you’ve been on a FS bike for the last few years!

Not sure if this has been useful. It’s quite difficult to be objective when describing how a bike rides.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Thanks boxfish, I’d also be running UST tyres to soften up the ride. I enjoyed riding the Soul in the Dark Peak although more care and finese was required on the descents than the usual ‘hoon’ approach. Although I expected this.

I suppose it came as a shock to get bounced out of the saddle when riding. And this with the Soul being springy, compliant steel. Again, maybe this is due to the last few years of FS.

So no regrets in moving from the Soda to the Holeshot and no restriction in your riding?

I think the Holeshot will be well suited to my local trails and the weekly Dark Peak visit. Just won’t know if it suits me or my riding until it’s been purchased and ridden. I suppose the same could be said about the Soul although I feel my existing kit suits the Holeshot better and I like the look of the geometry more.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Maybe my concern is also about moving from FS to HT too.

boxfish
    Free Member

So no regrets in moving from the Soda to the Holeshot and no restriction in your riding?

No regrets at all. I ride the same trails as before and, if anything, ride a bit harder on the Holeshot.

si-wilson
    Free Member

There is a review on a MTB Brighton website, link on my website.

iain1775
    Free Member

Not got one but my mate has
    Lovely bike he manages peaks on it no probs, he came from full suss never heard him complain about it and it’s now his only bike having sold the Susser, riding a HT is different to full suss but you will adapt and your riding will improve for it once you get used to it
    I’ve had a few sits on it and ridden round carparks and it feels good, nice geo seems very capable, looks fantastic, actually prefer it to my own Ti hardtail
    I’m assuming it’s the one Si advertised on here?
    Sounds like will be a decent specced build

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Thanks Iain, its nice to know that your mate is enjoying the Holeshot having moved from FS. I suppose my reasons for going back to riding a HT is partly to do with improving my riding and skills.

It is indeed the frame Si advertised on here.

Thanks Si, I read the review, hence my concern about the harsh ride. Although it does also mention the ride makes him giggle out loud. I suppose it’s relative as he’s comparing it to another Ti bike were as I only have a FS in comparison. Either way I’ll see you Sunday 🙂

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Anyone running 183mm Hope rotors with this frame? If so what disc mount adaptor are you using? My Hope post to IS fitted with the usual bolt and two wafer thin washers makes contact with the disc.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I wanted to order one today but Brodie are out of my size. I’m both disappointed and slightly relieved. Mainly disappointed.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Ivan, sorry about that 🙁

We only have one 16″ frame and 2 17″ frames left, and then thats it for a few months.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Sorry Si, that wasn’t a dig – if they don’t have any left they don’t have any left.

Just disappointed that after taking ages to decide I ended up being too late!

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Hello Si, strange question but did you have to fit your post to IS disc adaptor any differently from usual? My 183mm version does not clear the rotor at the top near where the caliper mounts? Slightly baffled.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I suppose my reasons for going back to riding a HT is partly to do with improving my riding and skills.

Buy a cotic soul and spend your money saved on a skills course(s) with jedi

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘So, Brodie Ti Holeshot owners – Talk to me’ is closed to new replies.