Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Snowdon on a hardtail – will I die?
  • timnwild

Watching some of the trail vids for the Ranger’s Path descent makes me wonder if i’ll spend the whole day shaking like a leaf, or carrying the bike. Any thoughts? I don’t mind picking my way down, but I want to enjoy myself…

I’ve happily ridden Afan, Peaks, Brechfa etc so I’m not a total novice – it just looks really chunky.

RichieBoy
    Free Member

I did it on a Cove Stiffee and i’m still alive

higgo
    Free Member

You will die.
    (both of you)

thepodge
    Free Member

Simon did it on a rigid SS.

Depends how good you are, not the bike

nedrapier

I rode it on a hardtail, and I hurt my knee.

Hope that helps.

Pook

one day you will die.

snowdon on a hardtail is great fun however.

honourablegeorge

Friend of a friend did it on a hybrid, I believe.

kayak23

I did it on a Norco hardtail several years ago and as far as I can tell I didn’t die. Its great fun 🙂

LMT
    Free Member

Done it twice this year both times on my Orange P7 no problems, just take some spare brake pads just in case! great ride imo.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I did it on my full sus a couple of weeks ago for the first time I was glad for the full squish, but it’d be equally fun on a hardtail, the first section past the railway is fairly smooth and any rocks can be avoided, and the rougher rockier section afterwards (down the zig zags etc) will be just as fun on a hardtail if you’re a fan of picking your way down and finding the smooth lines.

Take at least 2 spare inner tubes, a patch kit and a decent pump though 😀

binners

Pfft! I did it on a unicycle*

* this may not actually be true

beanieripper
    Free Member

Been down the ranger path a few times on a ht, great fun & really rideable.

timnwild

Thanks fellas – think I’ll go for it then. I’m always banging on about buying a steel hardtail so I could ride everything on one bike, so it’s probably time I actually put that to the test.

ta

LMT
    Free Member

If you break your bike, i can always sell you a well used, but in great condition P7 frame in 17.5″ lol

andysredmini
    Free Member

I did it on a Cove Stiffee too and im still alive.
    I ended up giving my mate a chuckie holding his iron horse sunday dh bike down the last mile or so (down the train tracks) as he ripped the bead from his rear tire.
    So yes you should live.

Andy

plumber
    Free Member

Rigid inbred ss. Interesting but I’m not dead 🙂

klumpy
    Free Member

Any natural hill trail in the country will have been successfully ridden on everything from penny farthings to cast iron shop bikes with bread trays.

justatheory
    Free Member

You won’t die, in fact you’re probably safer on a hardtail as you won’t be going as fast. Have fun!

mattsccm
    Free Member

1984/85 ish . Dawes Ranger.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

I remember coming down off Ben Nevis on a rigid Rockhopper the same weekend that JMC died…

Pook

can I roll out my rubbish snowdon vid? its got podge in it falling off

shortcut

I rode it on a hard tail 29ee with Kenda Slant6 tyres done on the tops. I am alive – but did crash an hurt my knee!

snowpaul
    Free Member

You will be fine – I have ridden it rigid / hardtail and full suss xc style – – llanberis track is tech easiest but the fastest so a spill = major impact… the ranger is quite naughty in places and the rhyd ddu is also very naughty in bits – if you can keep a cool head and know when to get off when its too much for your skills you will be ok !

I ride / walk depending on how awesome I am that day and how good my mental state is !

Pads are a good idea for some sections

paul

mboy
    Free Member

Pfft! I did it on a unicycle*

Pah, that’s nothing, I did it bikeless!

🙄

😉

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Did the Llanberis route on my Stiffee many moons ago as well (and didn’t die). Great fun – and no punctures either. Best bit of it was being in Pete’s Eats for breakfast after we’d been up and back. You’ll have a blast.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon on a hardtail – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.