Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Snapped Pro2 rear axle on 12mm maxle – options?
  • yoshimi

Now snapped 2 hope rear axles, have been looking at Saint 820 Hub (think this is the new version) £100 now at crc – anyone had similar issues and what did you do/change to?

Thanks

godzilla
    Free Member

Are they Evo’s and Maxle lite?

yoshimi

Nope just std pro2

godzilla
    Free Member

Speak to Hope, tell them you snapped two and see what they say.

Northwind

You can swap the hub internals (everything but the shell and the pawls) to the newer Pro 2 Evo ones- quite spendy but saves you rebuilding the wheel. It all fits in the old shell.

Alternatively, Hope will replace your axle, since they know it’s not fit for purpose. Might be worth asking about the Evo upgrade to see if they’ll cut you a deal, but they wouldn’t do anything for me (offered to sell me parts for RRP! Didn’t even discount for the price of the broken axle. No ta)

Some folks have been given a steel axle, don’t know if that’s an option still.

Oh and lastly- if it’s one of the tapered maxle lites, it makes the problem worse. Swapping to a full-thickness axle reduces the problem but doesn’t fix it.

yoshimi

I think I’ll try hope then, I have heard of this problem before, it’s the full thickness maxle not the taper, excuse my ignorance but does the evo have thicker metal in the axle

Nothwind, if so I’ll try that as getting a wheel rebuilt will be a nightmare, cost wise

Northwind

Aye, the Pro 2 wasn’t designed for 12mm axles, they just bodged it so that they’ll fit, and the numbers meant that they end up with a 15mm thick axle, and a 12mm hole- very thin walls.

The Evo was designed to accomodate a thicker 17mm axle.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Hope rebuilt mine with a steel axle which seem to be holding up fine. Give em a shout. They are great to deal with IME. Good luck.

creamegg
    Free Member

Took mine back to lbs who replaced the axle and gave me the new 12mm rock shox maxle all free of charge.

yoshimi

Thanks for the replies guys; I’ll speak to Hope and let you know how I get on 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Snapped Pro2 rear axle on 12mm maxle – options?’ is closed to new replies.