Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Snake Pass – Road Closure?
  • TheSanityAssassin

As title. I’m planning on a road ride over the Snake on Saturday and noticed a sign last Bank Holiday Monday saying it would be closed soon, but can’t remember the dates it gave. So:
    a) anyone know the closure dates, &
    b) if it is closed, is it passable on a push iron?
    I’ll be climbing out of Ladybower and heading for Glossop, if that makes a difference.
    Cheers.

steveh

It’s closed this week and next between ladybower and Glossop, the far side of Bleaklow as you’re dropping down towards Glossop just the other side of the summit. Pretty sure you’ll get a bike past though, might reqire a minor bit of hikig at worst.

TheSanityAssassin

Cheers fella, much appreciated.

HansRey

how long will it be closed for? Is it temporary?

njee20
    Free Member

how long will it be closed for? Is it temporary?

I don’t think “this week and next” is permanent, could be wrong though.

docrobster
    Free Member

All the roadies I know are planning to take advantage of the lack of traffic and ride over this weekend and next. It will be teeming with them.
    Closure is 1-14/6/15

ianfitz
    Free Member

Although bbc reporting that’s it’s to open early with minor works continuing. So may not be as quiet as first thought

D0NK

All the roadies I know are planning to take advantage of the lack of traffic and ride over this weekend and next.

that’s not a bad idea

thepodge
    Free Member

Although bbc reporting that’s it’s to open early with minor works continuing. So may not be as quiet as first thought

Got a link for this?

We’re riding it tonight

vincienup
    Free Member

I’d forgotten this was happening this week.

I’m not going to be able to get the car to Haggs Farm for my usual parkup today, am I?

thepodge
    Free Member

If you’re coming from Sheffield then you’ll be fine. Snake Inn is advertising that its open so getting to Hagg should be no problem.

I suppose technically its not closed, its just you cant get the whole length of it.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Planning a road ride too.
    Don’t forget some folk will see a closed road as a playground, watch out for sports bikes etc.

MrNice
    Free Member

anyone know where the works are? i.e. which side of the Snake Inn

richpips
    Free Member

People wanting to visit the Snake Pass Inn will be able to drive to the pub from the Bamford side.

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/council/news_events/news-updates/2015/may/news_items/a57_snake_pass_to_close_for_two_weeks_for_essential_work.asp

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Don’t forget some folk will see a closed road as a playground, watch out for sports bikes etc.

Remember the vid’s of scoobies getting airtime that winter it slipped down the hill a bit.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Works are Glossop side of the snake inn. Folks from my running club were out there yesterday and commented on a fair number of Gary ragg-its out in their pimped fiestas and what not. Lots of bikes too. Tbh it sounded more dangerous than normal!

christhetall
    Free Member

Rode from Sheffield to the summit tonight. Saw about 70 cyclists, but no more than a handful of motors – mostly bikers at the pub. The only car that overtook us did so with maximum consideration and a thumbs up from the passenger !

Lovely evening ride, hope the work takes as long as planned cos I want to do the snake doctor & cut gate loop on Saturday, and maybe another road ride next week

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

what is the best circular route up there starting and finishing at ladybower?

for the tour last year i did from ladybower up snake pass, right in glossop up to Holm moss, and just did the same back.

Anything within 100k should be doable by my pistons…

christhetall
    Free Member

what is the best circular route up there starting and finishing at ladybower?

You could go down through Bamford to Castleton and up Winnats, over to Chapel, north to glossop and back over the snake. Given that most of the snake traffic will be on the woodhead I’d avoid that as much as possible. Did it last year on a Sunday evening (doing TDF stage 2) and it was pretty unpleasant.

thepodge
    Free Member

I did Ladybower – Glossop – Ladybower last nigh, 28 miles with 1 car, 2 motorbikes and a landrover being the only traffic we saw.

Lots of cyclists out, most seemed to be riding from the Sheffield side and turning back at the top… the quitters. Riding out of Glossop was hard but not as hard as I expected.

nbt

Sunday morning jaunt on the books for me, out via Glossop, turn round at the reservoir and back

ahwiles
    Free Member

Sunday:

Sheffield, Burbage, Stanage, Bamford, …Glossop, …Bamford, Stanage, Burbage, home, shower, round to mates house for Fort William coverage, round to other mates house for the hour with Sir Wiggo.

bikes are ace.

christhetall
    Free Member

Lots of cyclists out, most seemed to be riding from the Sheffield side and turning back at the top… the quitters.

So you drove to Ladybower ? That’s cheating ! 😉

I rode on until I could see Glossop and Manchester and remind myself of just how grim they look, which was enough to deter me from venturing any further. But the traffic on the A57 from Ladybower back to Sheff was a stark contrast to the tranquility of the snake.

Can we persuade them to close it every year ?

jools182
    Free Member

I was thinking about having a pootle up there before it’s open again

Tried it on the patriot last time, might treat myself and take the road bike up

thepodge
    Free Member

christhetall – So you drove to Ladybower ? That’s cheating !

Its not cheating, its good planning.

There’s no way I’d have made it out of Sheffield and back and the main aim was to get to glossop for the downhill

christhetall
    Free Member

It’s odd, going up a hill and back down the same way feels natural, but dropping down then back up always feels wrong. Unless you’re by the seaside. Or stop at a pub. Or both

thepodge
    Free Member

We stopped at the pub and the chippy

I prefer down then up, I’m weak willed and would be tempted to give up the other way round

TheSanityAssassin

Well that was a bloody hard three and a half hours! Strines, Snake and Holme Moss, in that order. Ordinarily that’s a pretty tough undertaking, but with the wind strength today it was brutal. Snake mostly wasn’t too bad, until the last 400 yards or so, then it was horrific. The good news is that there’s plenty of room to get through the road works though, and it looked like dozens were taking their chance today.

christhetall
    Free Member

FAO thepodge

Did Sheffield to Glossop and back with 2 pints and a plate of chips at the Royal Oak ! Beautiful evening

Another night with hundreds of cyclists out, but significantly more cars than last time – I think people have worked out you can get through if you’re prepared to move the cones. Not exactly a problem though and still worthwhile

BadlyWiredDog

Can we persuade them to close it every year ?

It happens quite regularly, but for some reason seems to have got a load more publicity than usual this year.

thepodge
    Free Member

We went for the Wheatsheaf, there was an alarm going off outside the oak

I was surprised how unclosed the closed road was & not surprised to hear people are ignoring it now

hora
    Free Member

Remember the vid’s of scoobies getting airtime that winter it slipped down the hill a bit.

Was that where there used to be a clear lip in the road that the council took the top off and retarmac’d? (in the direction of Glossop) just before the Potato alley road crossing.

I remember if you hit it at a certain speed you were guaranteed takeoff! Then you were HARD onto the brakes as the righthand bend was on you – on a bicycle the same stretch seems to be very very long yet it a car its a couple of seconds 😆

mrchrispy

I did it last night, very nice climb but I overcooked it going past a couple of lads and they reeled me back in. the decent was awesome but the last couple of corners do get a little tight!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Snake Pass – Road Closure?’ is closed to new replies.