Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Smoker sues for being exposed to passive smoking
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

**** chancer

FWIW i remember once – you only ever do it once- travelling in the smoking train when they had it it was so harsh as so many folk cam e in for a fga then left that it was just a smoke filled chamber

That said how a smoker can sue for second hand effects is beyond me. No one made him sit there is my initial thought

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

He’s at it, as he’s a smoker and should know the risks.

However, I can’t see any sense in smoking being allowed offshore. If ye want the job, then there’s no fags, simples. Are rigs classed as high level comah sites bruneep? (out of interest, I know your position)

seadog101

Mmmmm OK, so sucking huge densities of carcinogenic compounds into your lungs is not as bad as sitting in a space, often for hours (yes, I know how long some people spend in the smoke shack each day), with considerably less densities of the stuff in the air?

Quite why any employer tolerates smokers spending longer away from their work place than non-smokers is beyond me. It’s your addiction, deal with it in your own time.

aracer
    Free Member

No chance at all of successfully proving his health problems are related to the secondhand smoke particles he accidentally breathed in, compared to the much larger quantity of smoke particles he deliberately breathed in.

Drac

I hope none of the other smokers had dogs on extends leads.

jon1973
    Free Member

Quite why any employer tolerates smokers spending longer away from their work place than non-smokers is beyond me. It’s your addiction, deal with it in your own time.

To be fair, I think this is more about how much of a conscientious person you are. I gave up smoking years ago, but when I did smoke, I’d typically put in much longer hours than a lot of non smokers in the office, which more than made up for the cigarette breaks I took. There were a few people with the same view about smokers who used to moan about the amount of time smokers spent away from their desks. Usually these were people who spent all day on the internet.

It’s not just smokers who take the piss at work.

funkrodent

To be fair, I think this is more about how much of a conscientious person you are. I gave up smoking years ago, but when I did smoke, I’d typically put in much longer hours than a lot of non smokers in the office, which more than made up for the cigarette breaks I took. There were a few people with the same view about smokers who used to moan about the amount of time smokers spent away from their desks. Usually these were people who spent all day on the internet.

Come again? And you base these unfounded assumptions on what exactly? All through my career (as both smoker and non smoker) I’ve never once come to the conclusion that smokers work harder than non-smokers. Or vice versa. However, it has been apparent – to me and many, many others – that smokers by and large get to take the pee when it comes to “wandering out of the office as and when I feel like it for an unauthorised 5-10 minute break”. As said above, it’s their addiction and they should deal with it outside of work hours (not to mention littering the streets with their foul cigarette butts). I’m old enough to remember smoking at the desk in offices though. Now that was proper disgusting, and that was when I was a smoker..

trail_rat
    Free Member

hmmm …. best get my claim in.

spent more than my fair share in offshore rigs that the whole rig is a smoking shack because some **** cant close a door when they go for a fag.

theres one north sea bucket that has the smoko door wedged open – AND the main route to the outside deck is via a staircase outside the smoko that acts like a chimney – its disgusting.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Sue them trail rat

Drac

Everyone knows smokers don’t use the Internet.

seadog101

True, and I agree that not all smokers are bludgers who are skiving off work. However, there are many working environments, and this is typical of my work place, where you are meant to be at your work place to do the work as it happens. React to emergencies, fix problems as they happen, make changes to machinery that needs adjusting etc.. If you’re off on another smoke break, one of the non-smokers is doing the work you could be called on to do.

chestrockwell

Speaking as an ex-smoker of going on 3 years some of you lot need to get off your high horse. This being STW I am not surprised by this.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

But you chose to smoke, non smokers didn’t*

*also an ex smoker, for balance.

CountZero

That might well be the case where you work, but there’s little opportunity for anyone where I am to spend time grepping the interwebz, but still the smokers, including production managers, bunk off four or five times a day for ten minutes at a time to smoke. I know for a fact that if I buggered off away from my desk or wherever for that amount of time every day, questions would be asked!
    And few of the smokers work longer than the non-smokers, either.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Haha, used to work in an aircraft engine overhaul facility, one guy who was an electrician worked in an area where the other 3 guys were smokers. He did a wee time and motion study, and at his annual review asked if he could have the 6.5 days holiday that the smokers had over him every year….

Didn’t go down too well, especially when his colleagues found out.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Smoker sues for being exposed to passive smoking’ is closed to new replies.