Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • small frame long post ? – large frame shorter post ?
  • bunnerscj
    Free Member

Hi all,
    Just been offered a trek EX8 build, 18.5 actual 19.5 virtual, however, being 6ft 4" I really need the 21.5 but ………………..

The 21.5 looks like a gate, I can ride the 18.5 with a max'd 400mm seatpost but am a little conerned about using a alu frame with such a long post exposed.

The ride feels a little 'riding on rather than riding in' the cockpit but the bike is a bargain but I'm worried the frame might break if running a max'd seatpost.

Top tube measurement is ok so no probs there, trying to convince myself that the 18.5 will do. All my other bikes have been 20" or 21" on the last full bounce frame (SC HECKLER)

Ideas, thoughts ??
    **** knows 🙄

gothandy

I'm 6ft 4 and have a large prophet (I think that's 19.5 equiv.) I had to get wide handle bars and a laid back seat post to get it feeling good. It's great for twisty trails and single track but not so good on long climbs.

That said 18.5 sounds small. Any chance you can ride before you buy?

TooTall
    Free Member

If you'd rather put form over function, get a bike that is too small for you. It might look big when you're not on it, but a bike too small will just make it look like you stole it from a smaller kid. Just get the proper sized bike for you and you'll not spend loads on longer stems and layback seatposts to force it big enough.
    You answered your own questions – you want this but you need bigger.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Odd. It's not like you're in between sizes. Get the right one.

dexterbexley
    Free Member

I'm 6ft5" and ride an Xl Heckler and a 19" P7. Next bike will be an L (19-20") rather than an XL (21") as I much prefer the chuckability of the smaller frame. I run 50 or 60mm stems and in line posts and ride 50 miles a week with no bother but I don't tend to do long days in the saddle.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘small frame long post ? – large frame shorter post ?’ is closed to new replies.