Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • slx or xt shifters and mech?
  • hugh_b
    Free Member

As the title says really. Quite tempted by the slx as it’s a fair chunk cheaper and there doesn’t seem to be much difference apart from maybe a cartridge bearing on one jockey wheel and different looks. I understand the shifters are the same internally but different externally?

How does the performance compare?

Hugh

alpin
    Free Member

for the shifters i’d be surprised if you wer to notice any discernable difference. i certainly couldn’t between XT and LX and with SLX being in the middle i’d have thought there is very little in it.

going from old style LX to new style XT i have to say that the performance is better. not had to tweak the gears as often but prehaps a new LX/SLX offers very similar performance to the XT.

lots of bikes come pre-equipped now with SLX as opposed to XT. whether this is a financial thing or they feel XT offers little over the SLX in terms of performance i can’t say.

sod it, have XT mech and SLX shifters. best of both worlds.

james
    Free Member

Theres 1g between SLX and XT shifters

I believe XT release on pressing the lever, SLXs on pressing and then releasing the lever. So the XTs change release a fraction of a second quicker I think

jobbyheid
    Free Member

I think new XT mechs are a bit weak, I’d go for SLX, which are good n’ sturdy..

forge197
    Free Member

I’ve got SLX shifters with a XT rear mech (M770 non-shadow) works a treat.

Daffy

SLX paddles are plastic whereas XT are metal…nicer feel.

james
    Free Member

XT rear mech has an aluminium lower cage (which are known to bend) whereas SLX has a steel one

Daffy

I can sell you some almost new XTs for £50 if you want.

hugh_b
    Free Member

thanks guy,s, well i went down to my lbs this afternoon to see what they had. They still had some stock left from when the old rices were still in use and i purchased a shiamno xt promotion pack which included xt shifters, cable set and shadow xt rear mech for £90. Seemed a reasonable price compared to what they cost now days!

zaskar
    Free Member

Just read that SLX has the same internals as XT shifters.

Mechs-I have no clue. But hopefully get one next week.

Holding a pair of SLX shifters now I got really cheap. Otherwise I would have gone XT too.

Looks solid and feels like it but doesn’t have the finishing of XT or XTR and I can see the internals which I’ll squirt a little grease to block water. Plastic moulding residue etc. Made in China…gear windows look flimsy

I’ve been using XTR and there is a huge difference-also in price.

Definatley better than Deore and cheaper than XT.

There are screws bolted everywhere-lots of bits could be replaced after a bad crash instead of replacing the whole shifter.

Thumb levers are replacable too. I’d be happy crashing SLX-solid and cheap enough to replace compared to XT-at some shops.

If you get the SLX levers cheap then it’s a solid bargain. :mrgreen:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘slx or xt shifters and mech?’ is closed to new replies.