Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • SLX crank creak help please!
  • tenayshuzd
    Free Member

Hopefully someone can help me out with this:

My crankset developed a pretty loud creak on loading (especially uphill) recently so I took my bike to my LBS.

LBS (very experienced mechanics) have checked over my SLX M660 crankset (triple converted to a double and bash), bottom bracket swapped and checked,greased, bearings checked, threads faced, chainring bolts checked, pedals swapped and checked, basically everything checked over but the right arm still creaks!

The LBS guys think it’s a problem with the right arm crank bonding (at the connection with the axle?), if I push the crank toward the chain stays you can hear the creak.

I bought it from Chainreaction back in 2012 (still in good condition visually, no cracks anywhere)- probably a grey import as didn’t come in a box, the LBS reckon this means it’s not under any warranty with Shimano, anyone experience this? LBS think it’s pretty rare!

jekkyl

take the chain off and try to get it to creak!

grease all round the mech hanger
    grease the rear axle and then when you put it back tighten it up good and proper.
    make sure all spokes are tight on rear wheel.
    make sure all bolts tight on front mech.

I’ve had the exact same problem with my bike recently, convinced the noise was coming from the bb area, replaced that and pedals at cost but to no avail. Searched for and read every thread on the web about bike creaks, did the above just last night and creak is gone.

Cheezpleez

Earplugs?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘SLX crank creak help please!’ is closed to new replies.