Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Sliding slot dropout frame, cones come loose on 2 back wheels now
  • lee170
    Free Member

I have an on-one inbred sliding slot dropout frame, I’ve had to replace one rear wheel due to cones kept coming loose, I have replaced this with a new rear wheel but now I’ve noticed that the cones have come loose on that to, I take it it’s the cones when the wheel is tight on with the qr. and it wobbles from side to side.

Do these type of frames ruin wheels???

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dont want to teach you to suck eggs but do you have cone spanners and know how to use em ?

Cones cant really come loose if done up right – unless your bearings are spackered.

lee170
    Free Member

I have cone scanners yeah, the wheel is only 6 month old so I hope the bearings are not knacked.

tobymc

Is it a frame that needs the tapered washers to maintain chain tension? If those are missing you might get the whole axle moving in the dropout which could feel like ruined bearings.

letmetalktomark

Are you using a chain tensioner?

ahwiles
    Free Member

lee170 – Member

I have cone scanners yeah,

and the know-how?

there is a knack.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Are the dropouts exactly aligned? I’ve knackered the bearings inmy rohloff as the dropouts weren’t aligned, so the axle wasn’t parrallel to the bb. Turned out the wheel wasn’t dished properly and I’d been aligning it by centralising the rim in the chainstays.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Sliding slot dropout frame, cones come loose on 2 back wheels now’ is closed to new replies.