Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • skoda yeti
  • ian-r

I know a few people on here have Yetis.
    I am interested in getting one and wondered about experiences of getting bikes inside. The internal bike rack looks a good idea but could I get a large 650b bike in upright with just the front wheel off?
    Thanks

ninkynonk
    Free Member

Ian,

I’ve got a Yeti… with 2 children still in baby seats I can remove the middle seat take off the front wheel of my fat bike and slide it in easily with the bars turned (albeit with the seat dropped).

Alternatively with the rear seats either removed on just dropped I can fit any bike (road or 29er) with just the front wheel removed.

Hope that helps.

ian-r

Cheers Ninkynonk
    How have you found the car generally?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ninky, yes tell us more

slowjo
    Free Member

Dacia Duster is pretty huge inside as well. I looked at one a few weeks ago. Top of the range car with all the toys for about £15k (2WD Diesel). Apparently it is the running gear of a Nissan Quasquai (previous iteration) with a different body.

I was very impressed and when our Berlingo shuffles off its mortal coil, we may well get one of these.

One duff note is that the rear seats do not quite fold flat. I could probably live with that though.

sandwicheater

Pulls up chair.

MrOvershoot

Well I know Ninkynonk has had it since new in 2010 and the heater is very powerful (nearly melted me) oh and the media system seems to play Primal Scream OK 😉
    I do know they had a water leak into the car, sunroof I think.

Anything more detailed you will have to wait for him to reply

sandwicheater

Twiddles thumbs.

vonplatz
    Free Member

I’m also thinking about getting one of these as a family car/weekend warrior combi.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Me too.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Alternatively with the rear seats either removed on just dropped I can fit any bike (road or 29er) with just the front wheel removed.

sounds small inside. I have had a Golf and a Passat and both fit a full bike in with both wheels on.

sandwicheater

@Scottfitz

Both wheels on in a golf! You’re Paul Daniels and I claim my £5.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Maxi Life – both wheels on UPRIGHT AND kids inside, 3 adults, 3 full bikes, etc – loads of room 😉

rickmeister

Agreed, Maxi Life or Kombi. Plus there is a Skoda version of the Caddy out in 2015.

highlandman
    Free Member

Back seat of a yeti gives me the boak..

Translation: makes me sick.
    Quite a harsh, choppy ride in the back and limited view out.

ian-r

I just wanted an opinion of the ability to carry bikes upright from someone who actually has a Yeti to shortlist one to have a look at. I will normally be carrying two bikes and don’t want to lie them down or hang them from the outside.

scottfitz
    Free Member

sandwicheater – Member

@Scottfitz

Both wheels on in a golf! yep Mark 4 golf with cannodale prophet in it and my make has a focus he also can fit his full suss in with both wheels on.

njee20
    Free Member

yep Mark 4 golf with cannodale prophet in it and my make has a focus he also can fit his full suss in with both wheels on.

Really? I mean REALLY?

My mk5 Golf is bigger than my Mk4, but I still couldn’t get a bike in with wheels unless I put the passenger seat headrest on the dashboard, and even then I’m not convinced.

POIDH, and daft rearrangement of car seats doesn’t count!

rickmeister

Ian, front wheels off in a Yeti will be ok. Upright, wheels on, very much doubt it. A dropper post will clear the back but front wheel on, the bars and stem will be a problem. Neither will they go in a Touran, upright, wheels on. They will in a Caddy, better still a Caddy Maxi.

Caddy Kobi better still as the plastics in the rear will get mashed and rob width.

If in doubt, take a clean bike to a deal and you will learn

1. Whether they do indeed fit
    2. The nature of the dealer you may be working with in the future.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Sure I posted pics of mine with the bike in it a while back – definitely fits in a Maxi Life, the plastics don’t rob width as all they do is cover the wheelarches BUT give LOADS of storage cubbies 😉
    The plastics are surprisingly strong and don’t mark that easily – but then it’s a car for throwing stuff inside so does it matter “that” much?

scottfitz
    Free Member

Njee20 not got the golf anymore but here is a pic of my bike in my passat loads of room
    Golf was similar back wheel to the passenger seat and bars/ forks backwards

image by scottgolfgti, on Flickr

Edit: come to think of it I had a giant glory for a bit that fitted in the golf too but only with the passenger seat flipped forward. It was a 3 door.

smokey_jo

Don’t buy a Dacia Duster – I did and it’s rusting already, and I’m not the only one. Dacia have refused to recall and will only agree to repaint. Spend the money on a 2nd hand Yeti instead.

More info here:http://www.daciaforum.co.uk/forum/topic/706-do-you-have-a-rusty-duster/

smokey_jo

Oh and the Duster is an old Clio platform stretched with the AWD system from the x-trail and a very low 1st gear.

rickmeister

Scott, the bike is indeed upright but have you parked in a ditch ?
    ….

iolo
    Free Member

I’ve got a 4 year old 4×4 Duster. It’s been faultless. No rust.
    It’s used in the Austrian alps and hasn’t failed to get me anywhere in the Winter or summer.

stox
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/skoda-yeti-1

Had mine a month. Not had a bike inside it yet but for my own education and yours, I can have a play if you tell me what you need to see

ian-r

Cheers stox
    I would just like to see how well a bike or two fit. Ideally standing up ( as per the skoda internal bike rack). Just want to get a rough idea wheat sort of room there is with the seats folded up or taken out if required.

stox
    Free Member

No probs Ian-R but I can’t sort it tonight. Hopefully tomorrow night, failing that definitely Saturday morning (assuming you are not desperate to find out..)

thepurist

Been looking and the mazda cx5 seems to be the motor press’s darling at the moment. The yeti seems to be smaller than it looks.

stox
    Free Member
    ian-r

Cheers stox
    Yep I have seen that (and just about every other photo on the web linking yetis to bikes). I don’t understand why the Skoda bike rack has the bars at such an angle. There is a couple of home made versions with the bars square on but they do not show how the bike fits.
    I may bite the bullet and take the bike down to a Skoda dealership as suggested by rickmeister.

njee20
    Free Member

Njee20 not got the golf anymore but here is a pic of my bike in my passat loads of room

An estate? Well… Yes. Was your Golf an estate? That would make sense!

Superficial
    Free Member

Have you ever tried it? A (size large) full sus mountain bike can fit in all the average-sized hatchbacks I’ve tried. Focus, Golf Mk4, Civic all with both wheels on.

adsh
    Free Member

I don’t have a Yeti but I did have an Octavia and now a Superb. The yeti is fun has a better ride height for off road but is now lagging a bit on consumption in the diesel models and definately has some space compromises – the boot with the seats up is pretty tiny. Plus I think you pay a premium for the model

The Octavia and the Superb both take a 29er (large) with wheels on and on it’s side with the seats down. You can leave one seat up and have it semi upright with a wheel off. The octavia boot is the same size as the Superb just without the immense rear seat leg room. Both do more or less the same MPG as the Yeti and the Octavia is cheap second hand providing you don’t go for the 4wd. Resale good – millions of taxi drivers want high mileage clean ones.

All great cars

trail_rat
    Free Member

depends on frame size – none of my bikes fitted in our mk4 golf – with either wheel on and the saddle had to be put right down. ! stupid car

yet mrs t-rs bikes would.

Large 29ers with seat almost all way up vs small 26ers with seat almost all down.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Been looking and the mazda cx5

I have a new CX5 and have been very happy with it. Reasonable fun to drive for what it is. And a really nice place to be for a long journey for the kids and the Mrs. However as an out and out biking workhorse its no better than an average midsize estate car. Which in all honesty for me personally suits me fine, as I put thule rails and outride roof mounted carriers on. At the end of the day, its an expensive investment, its got nice leather etc, so I am happy having muddy mountain bikes stinking of sheep s**t on the outside as opposed to in the back.

smokey_jo

I’ve got a 4 year old 4×4 Duster. It’s been faultless. No rust.
    It’s used in the Austrian alps and hasn’t failed to get me anywhere in the Winter or summer.

Is that a LHD? If so yours is built in Romania where they actually have some quality control and don’t ship untreated steel by sea for 2 months like they do for the Indian built RHD version.

hot_fiat

Had our yeti nearly a year now. It’s great. Dealers (in the north east anyway) are shocking though – technically inept and incompetent. Not helped by the fact skoda uk outsource their customer service to serco or crapita, I can’t remember which.

The boot is a bit small, but you can make it bigger by sliding the back seats forward. The centre seat doesn’t slide, but you can easily remove it. You can also remove the others.

For bike carrying I’d really recommend speccing a tow bar and using something like an atera or thule rack. Yes you can get bikes inside, but a towbar rack is much easier. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES allow the dealer to suggest an aftermarket tow bar. There are a myriad of threads on briskoda about problems with coding, ecu failure (mine) and general shoddiness of work. Avoid avoid avoid.

Economy wise, I get about 40mpg from the 170tdi. Not great, but not bad for 1500kg 4×4 driven by a moron. For some bizarre reason our thule roof box makes the thing more economical on a run – we regularly saw 45 on our trip to Austria this year, almost matching my dad’s superb.

Oh and it’s fast. Indecently fast for what it is. And handles really well. The get up and go from the 4motion system is astonishing. 😀

arachnidlover
    Free Member

Had a Renault Koleos for over a year now. Fold one seat down and one bike goes in without removing the front wheel. Fold both seats down and two bikes go in (and all the kit for a bikey weekend). Haven’t had an problems with it and it gives pretty decent mileage (about 45mpg when in 2 wheel drive mode, probably about 30mpg in 4 wheel drive mode). Throw in descent assist, cruise control and all the normal bits and bobs (and more storage spaces than you can shake a stick at) and I’m prefectly happy with it. Cost £9500 at the time for a 4 year old model with 30,000 on the clock.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@hot_fiat, interesting thanks for posting. I have to say I don’t see a Yeti as so compelling if the bikes are better carried outside. Older Rav4’s will swallow bikes with seats totally removed so I think I’ll stick with one of those as leading candidate.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘skoda yeti’ is closed to new replies.