Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • skin cancer what do i need to know
  • milkyman
    Free Member

I have just been to see my dad who is 73 and he has told me he has skin cancer on his top lip, he has never been a fella for sitting in the sun but has been a life long smoker
    I don’t know what type of cancer it is or what’s going to happen next, any help please

holst
    Free Member

Melanoma is very bad. If you don’t catch it early, it can spread through the blood to other organs. Carcinoma is annoying but it doesn’t spread like melanoma. So basically, it could be very serious, it could be trivial and only a doctor can tell you which. Good luck, hope it turns out ok.

martinhutch

It depends what kind it is. Most are not life-threatening in normal circumstances. Talk to him again and see if he can remember whether it’s melanoma, or basal cell carcinoma, or squamous cell carcinoma, or something else.

Melanoma is the one which causes most aggro. The others can be treated in a variety of ways.

shermer75
    Free Member

The two key bits of info you need to find out are:

1) what type of skin cancer- there is more than one, and the more common types are benign

2) if it is malignant, how deep is it- from memory anything under 1mm is still good news.

Ask your dad and see what has happened so far (has there been a biopsy etc) to find out how far along the diagnostic process they are

shermer75
    Free Member

The diagnostic process is:

1) notice that there’s an usually large mole- this could be cancerous, but we need a biopsy to make sure

2) remove the mole for testing- this is the biopsy

3) wait for the results to come back

milkyman
    Free Member

he only found out on Wednesday and I have only just been to visit him today, the doc has referred him and only then I guess I will find out more, at the mo it looks like a spot on his top lip that wont heal, he told me that the doctor has told him that it is cancer but my father has a history or hypricondia, I don’t know if a doc could say its cancer with out getting a biopsy
    sorry for the shitty spelling,

TiRed

The words you do want to hear are “basal cell carcinoma” or “squamous cell carcinoma”.
    The words you do not want to hear are “malignant melanoma”

I’ve had the former (which is benign, common on the face of the elderly and treated by simple surgery (GP for mine)). Two of my family have had the latter. Wait until you know the type first.

I hope all goes well.

EDIT:

spot on his top lip that wont heal

If it appears ulcerous, white, shiny and bleeds occasionally, it is quite likely to be basal cell carcinoma. Dark mole-like spots are more serious.

milkyman
    Free Member

its more white, looks almost a bit flakey

shermer75
    Free Member
    shermer75
    Free Member

It may well be helpful to go with your dad to the referral, especially when they are giving the results. It can be very hard to listen clearly when it’s your own health that’s at stake! 🙂

martinhutch

its more white, looks almost a bit flakey

Sounds like BCC to me. Obviously your dad needs to have it confirmed by biopsy, but I wouldn’t panic at this stage. They are very common in older people.

http://www.dermnet.com/images/Basal-Cell-Carcinoma-Lip

milkyman
    Free Member

thank you all, its reassuring that we can bicker on here but when push comes to shove you will get good advice

njee20
    Free Member

Friend had exactly this – looked like a spot which wouldn’t heal on top lip. Diagnosed as ‘cancer’ (don’t know the details of what type) after a biopsy. Operated on, and you wouldn’t know at all now, the biopsy was the most invasive part.

No lingering effects whatsoever.

prettygreenparrot

Excision biopsy depending on size. If it is BCC and the margins are clear of neoplastic cells then that may be the end of it.

The American Cancer Society has a nice gallery of images

Cancer Research UK’s page on non-melanoma

Cancer Research UK’s page on melanoma

The US National Cancer Institute’s page on skin cancer

theotherjonv

Macmillan are a good resource, they can help you in advance even of the appt in assisting you in being able to ask the right questions.

Good luck

kcal

had BCC here – never sure where it came from, but ignored it (as did doc) for too long. Result – major plastic surgery to get it removed (right on the lower eyelid) and facial reconstruction…

leftyboy
    Free Member

Just remember the early diagnosis is key, I had a malignant melanoma on my leg removed 6 years ago and It’s all fine now even though I ended up with a nasty infection because the wound split.

Hope it goes well, try and go to any appointments if you can so you know first hand what’s been said/diagnosed.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘skin cancer what do i need to know’ is closed to new replies.