Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Skiing in March (Les Deux Alpes)
  • mrmiyagi
    Free Member

Is anyone here a keen skier or have any experience at skiing in March?
    This is my first time going and would like some advice.

I’ve been told that skiing in Les Deux Alpes can get a little sweaty at that time of year. I was wondering if it would be better to go with a proper ski jacket or take a number of thinner layers so they can be removed through out the day if I get warm.

This is a bit of a stupid question but I don’t want to spend money on a jacket and not use it.

What would you guys recommend taking?

Thanks

sandwicheater

I ski in my normal outdoor waterproofs (jacket and trousers) and have merino long johns and merino long sleeve thermal top and a t-shirt. If really cold may stick a jumper on but has been fine all the years i’ve skied.

Can’t comment on March but i’m sure it will be grand.

grum
    Free Member

Not sure what you mean by a proper ski jacket but I’ve never used insulated/padded jackets. My ski/snowboard jackets have always been pretty much a shell then you can wear whatever layers underneath are needed.

Been getting on well with a soft-shell like this recently though – might be good for spring skiing/boarding with just a thin base layer underneath.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve been skiing in March (usually aim for the first week in march) for the last 18 years.

Its a good time. You get guaranteed snow in the decent resorts and usually nice weather and great snow. In the last 18yrs i’ve never strugglied wtih snow and for most of the time you get beatiful blue sunny skies and cold low minus temps – though I have had the odd -20 degree week. I have also had the odd holiday where its been 20 degrees + where you get ice in the morning and watery slush on the lower slopes in the afternoon, but even in those conditions if you’re at a half decent resort with plenty of skiing above about 1800 to 2000 metres (like Le Deux Alps) then you can usually stay high and still have decent snow.

The only downside is the snow is usually ski’d out and off piste has been compacted and chopped up, so if you’re after waist deep fluffy powder, you’re unlikely to find it – I have had conditions like that, but you cannot bank on them.

Its a toss up – if you go earlier in the season you might get the powder but worse weather can sometimes prevent you from skiing at all – and it us usualy (though not in recent years) F’ing freezing. If you go later in the season you get better weather, but the snow might not suit if want the more adventurous and powder skiing. If you just like to hoon the pistes then early March is the ideal time. But go to the decent high resorts to be guaranteed the snow.

EDIT: sorry in my enthusiam I missed the point of your question! I just use a thin shell jacket and use fleeces and thermals underneeth to add as many layers as I think I need. I used to buy expensive jackets but I don’t bother now, cheaper ones work just as well. In my past 18yrs of skiing i’ve only had about 4 weeks where its been sweaty and hot. Its usually in the -10 degs region + or – a few degrees, so a nice temperature for skiing. Last year was hot (+15 on the lower slopes maybe -5 high up), but I went the third week in March and the week before I went it was as cold as -20 and dumped about 3 feet of snow, so its the luck of the draw.

lunge

Deux Alpe is a good location for March skiing as, due to the glacier, you will always have somewhere to go even if it is warm.

Kit wise, it can get warm but also can get astonishingly cold as well so layers are your friend. How many and what they are will depend on how hot or cold you normally run. I hate being too hot so would wear a normal, non-thermal base layer and a unlined, shell type jacket unless I knew the weather was going to be cold. I tend to ski with a pack so I’d have a good fleece in there in case the weather changed.

The other side is my wife who will tell you to wear a thermal jacket and base layer along with a thick fleece all year round as you don’t want to get cold.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

March is a fantastic time to go. If the snow is slushy its a great time to learn new tricks in the park

njee20
    Free Member

It’s not entirely clear if it’s your first time skiing, ever, or your first time at Deux Alpes?

As others have said – Deux Alpes is a good resort for later in the season because it’s high. I’ve been there a number of times in March, and tend to go every year in January. In March the weather is often 8-10 degrees even at 2600m, but I personally don’t find I generate much warmth whilst skiing, and so would tend to wear a cycling base layer, jumper and a skiing jacket regardless. Would eschew the hat in warmer conditions though.

If you’re trying to avoid buying clothing though I’d sit tight – check the forecast in the week up to your trip, and head to TK Maxx/Mountain Warehouse if they’re forecasting a cold snap. Otherwise, if you’ve got a decent hardshell jacket you’ll probably be fine.

pictonroad

I went to Les Deux Alpes for my first (only and last) ski trip 4 years ago in late January. I was roasting the whole time. Ended up being comfortable in a t-shirt under a shirt. Didn’t wear any of the thermal stuff I’d loaded up on in TK Maxx.

Enjoyed having multiple gloves, learning = falling over = wet hands.

In retrospect, I’d wait til the week before and buy to suit. Actually, I’d have asked around at work and borrowed stuff rather than getting carried away by the shiny colours.

mrmiyagi
    Free Member

Cheers for all the quick replies guys. It will be my first time skiing. Never been before but its always been something I wanted to try so pretty pumped for it.

The popular opinion so far seems to be with the shell type jacket. So I’ll take a look into them. with a under fleece for an extra layer.

I usually get hot really quickly with any form of physical activity.

Murray

The problem with skiing is that the physical activity is punctuated with standing in lift queues / sitting on lifts. Shell + fleece is nice because you can adjust. And hats – wool or fleece for cold, baseball cap or sunshine to avoid burning the bald spot (assumes your old like me and don’t wear a helmet).

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mrmiyagi – yes I think a shell type jacket is what you want and layer it up underneath if its cold. I ski a lot in March and generally I ski in a couple of layers plus a windstopper gillet and only put a jacket on on the ski lift as you can get cold when sat still especially if its a little windy. Jacket kept in backback when not being worn. Of course you can have some decent cold weather and snowfall in March too.

If you get hot quickly you are going to want a few changes for the base layer otherwise that will be minging by the end of the week

Don’t forget high strength sunscreen and something for your lips, thin air and strong sun can toast you pretty quickly.

mrmiyagi
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Seems I’m quite new to this are there any makes that generally do decent shell jackets? or any to avoid?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Have you got anything off the bike or hiking you could use ? A mate who’s kit you can borrow. First time out it may not be worth the expense of buying.

creamegg
    Free Member

Dunno if it’s of any interest, and apologies for the blatant plug, but I have a pair of insulated animal snowboard / ski trousers for sale, never worn with tags still on. Think they’re medium and around 32 waist. Plain black. Email in profile if interested.

My advice on clothing would be to later up where you can as I found I was getting too hot most of the time and this was in early feb. I just used a normal outdoorsy jacket over a fleece and t shirt

njee20
    Free Member

The getting cold on lift issue isn’t a massive one at Deux Alpes – the main lift you’ll likely use as a beginner is a conveyor belt, inside a perspex tunnel, presumably to avoid planes using it to take off.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Whats more important in March is that you take very strong sun cream

mrmiyagi
    Free Member

Yeah sun screen is high up on the list of things to take.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Skiing in March (Les Deux Alpes)’ is closed to new replies.