Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Singletrack in la thuile
  • nobbyq
    Free Member

How does it compare to les arcs , any campsites there ? Thx

scottfitz
    Free Member

I liked the ST in la thuile better than Les arcs. Not sure on campsite we drove from boug

Northwind

Best place I’ve ever ridden I think… It’s kind of like innerleithen offpiste, with a mountain and chairlifts and dust, it has that same crafted, detailed, semi-natural feel. Roots and dirt not diggers and jumps. Can’t really explain how good it is tbh but it just gets me, it’s like being in a really cool mtb movie, or a really vivid dream sequence or something. Should be back there next week, cannot wait!

Only ever been guided there, I don’t really know whether we’re following the waymarked trails or making it up, didn’t pay any attention but it felt like we were more or less on the main trails. K2 you should ride for sure.

I really like Les Arcs too, especially with a canny guide and the “not the bike park” stuff but La Thuile is special.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I loved la thuile, also la rosierre is just around the corner, which has one of the most epic trails I have ridden.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A young riding buddy of mine, poloding along on here, was all over the alps this summer, and reckons La Thuile was the best place he rode. He was there riding the EWS too, maybe check strava for the trails they used there?.

Northwind

Bagstard – Member

I loved la thuile, also la rosierre is just around the corner, which has one of the most epic trails I have ridden.

It’s cool that if you’re driving from Bourg to La Thuile, there’s offroad routes down both sides of the col- shame for the driver, cool for everyone else 🙂

andyrm
    Free Member

If you contact the Superenduro crew, they’ll be able to help!

Contact details for Superenduro, RITM and social media pages for La Thuile here:

General Information
    info@superenduromtb.com
    Press Agency
    press@rockinthemiddle.com
    SOCIAL MEDIA
    Facebook: facebook.com/lathuilemtb
    Twitter: twitter.com/lathuilemtb
    Instagram: instagram.com/lathuilemtb

solamanda
    Free Member

It’s great, one my favorite places to ride in the alps and I’ve done alot. However you can easily do two runs of each trail in a single day and I view it as a full days riding, maybe two at a stretch. It’s in the same valley as Pila so it’s a good place to do as part of a mini tour. There is a small campsite at the bottom but it gets full quickly. It’s right by a fast river so sleeping is hard. The hotels in town are fairly reasonable.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

Bagstard – Member

It’s cool that if you’re driving from Bourg to La Thuile, there’s offroad routes down both sides of the col- shame for the driver, cool for everyone else

Le thuile with ride back to bourg via Little St Bernard mountain pass & La rosierre:
    http://www.strava.com/activities/12860517

mrhoppy

I’m sure I saw a campsite over there as we rode back into town.

At the risk of becoming a social pariah, I’m not its greatest fan, there’s good food and ice cream but I much prefer the ‘natural’riding to be found away from the lifts in around Bourg (and yes I’m fully aware that they’re man made paths) as opposed to the more obviously cut in stuff in La Thuile. It’s better than the waymarked stuff in Les Arcs though.

Northwind

scottfitz – Member

ride back to bourg via Little St Bernard mountain pass

Hmm, it’s not as high as I thought. Still, balls to that, when you’ve got a nice man with a van 😉

scottfitz
    Free Member

Hmm, it’s not as high as I thought. Still, balls to that, when you’ve got a nice man with a van

We took it in turns, also rode back to Bourg from tignes:
    http://www.strava.com/activities/12860936

And on the way back from Pila got dropped off at La rosierre again 😉
    http://www.strava.com/activities/12860599
    http://www.strava.com/activities/12860789

If anyone is going to bourg don’t just ride les arc you are missing out.

P.s I think Pila is the best place I have ever ridden.

Northwind

Haven’t been to Pila yet but it looks like it might be on this time. Maybe I’ll have a new winner 😉

wallop

really vivid dream sequence

This! That bit on one of the red runs (E?) that is all rusty red pine needles and shady trees – aaaamazing.

You’ll like Pila – the freeride trail down to Aosta is fantastic. But it’s no La Thuile IMO.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Haven’t been to Pila yet but it looks like it might be on this time. Maybe I’ll have a new winner

If you do go when the top top lift is open:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/209366/

Northwind

OK, you were right about Pila 😆 Very underwhelmed by the bikepark and dh stuff from the chair but the descent to Aosta is just ridiculous. What a trail…

wallop

Are you out there now? Can you ask Matt to email Jen with the veggie curry recipe please? 8)

steveh

Did you go to the top of the second chair northwind? The trail from the top of the ridge back down to pila and then in to the aosta trail is huge and amazing.

Northwind

Nah, I think it was shut… But I’d not enjoy that ridge ride I think!

@Wallop, back in Edinburgh and sad 🙁 I meant to get Matt’s gluten free cake recipe! And who knew you can barbeque a cabbage?

shifter
    Free Member

The barbequed cabbage was a shock to me too! Bloody nice though 🙂

wallop

Oh boo. It’s always sad to be home after a week out there.

I did write his email address down but it’s floating around in the car somewhere and I haven’t found it yet. If I do, I’ll be sure to get the cake recipe too!

And yes, the cabbage was very tasty!

frogstomp

+1 for great trails at La Thuile
    +100 for great food and riding at The White Room
    +1000000 for the major post-holiday downer! We were there the week before last..

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Rode it today, it’s a right giggle. Hot fast and dusty today.

We took advantage of the last day of the chairlifts.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

P.s I think Pila is the best place I have ever ridden.

Yep that ride down to Aosta is EPIC.

I minced my way down it this summer, best day of riding ever.

Milkie
    Free Member

I think Pila was my best days riding ever. Great fun on the WC & freeride sections. It’s a shame it closes on the 7th Sept.. Get to WR on the 6th. 😥
    Here’s some footage from Pila, La Thuile and a few other spots and the infamous Pat. 😉
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oG2uNkas-c&list=UUWmRWrg3S1Ayl-C6VJSUtCQ[/video]

La Thuile is also damn good steep in places and good singletrack, here’s my video from last year.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKVsnJYTFjI&list=UUWmRWrg3S1Ayl-C6VJSUtCQ[/video]

laraichean

Anyone know what guiding/uplift there is in Pila and La Thuile later in September (when chairlifts will presumably be closed)?

Milkie
    Free Member

You would need an uplift for both… Well I would. You don’t need a guide for Pila, it is very well marked. I’m not sure you would need a guide for La Thuile either.

I don’t think you can ride La Thuile after August, I believe the park is closed. I would imagine Pila would be the same (7th Sept Lifts Stop). They need to get ready for the start of the snow season.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Singletrack in la thuile’ is closed to new replies.