Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Singlespeed cog removal
  • g5604
    Free Member

I have a freehub with a spacer kit to make it single speed. I have removed the lock ring,but the cog and spacers are firmly stuck. Is there anything else to undo or should I get the mallet out?

Stoner
    Free Member

Probably find the sprocket has cut itself into the freehub ridges. Some persuasion to back it out of it’s notches and off required.

Plenty of manufacturers produce wide footed sprockets to minimise the chances of this happening on soft ally freehub bodies

g5604
    Free Member

ok thanks.

theotherjonv

Can’t see why spacers would be stuck though, they should just pull off. Try a bit of force / few taps with a soft mallet.

How long’s it been on?

g5604
    Free Member

It has been on for around 3000miles, never gets cleaned 🙂

theotherjonv

could be corroded on in that case.

It it one spacer each side of the cog, or lots of smaller ones? Get a narrow bladed screwdriver in between the spacers (or between cog and outer spacer) and try to lever it off. Sounds like it might be gash anyway, don’t think you can mess it up much beyond where it is already as long as you don’t go at it with a Kango.

wwaswas

take the freehub off the hub and then you can rest the cog on the jaws of a vice whilst you hit the freehub with a hammer to free it all off. (put a block of wood or something on the freehub before hitting it).

g5604
    Free Member

yes, one spacer each side of the cog.

how do you remove the freehub?

soobalias
    Free Member

depends on the freehub.

HTH

g5604
    Free Member

I finally removed it by putting the wheel cog face down and hitting it from behind with a mallet + screwdriver

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed cog removal’ is closed to new replies.